Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,449

2 members and 3,447 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First Time Owner - BP won't leave hide

Hello All,

This is my first post to the forum although I have been reading threads for a while. I purchased my first BP last month (3/19) from Petsmart. Before I brought it home I set up the tank with everything to make sure the temps were correct. When I first got my snake home I left it alone for the first week (minus taking it out to show my roommate once) before attempting to feed it. It has fed 3 times to date each time on 1 small mouse after which I leave it alone for 48 hours no interaction. Up until a 2 weeks ago it would come out at night 8pm move around its tank, lounge for a bit then go back in its hide and repeat every couple of hours but recently it has not been coming out except when its time for feeding. I noticed last night that it is starting its shed but I'm afraid it will just stay in its hide the whole time. It doesn't seem to be trying to regulate its body temp so I'm not sure what is going on. Any help/advice would be great.

Tank set up (3/19 - 4/05)

2 over head heat lamps (100w day and 75w night)
    1 sticky thermometer (1/4 from top)
    1 sticky hydrometer (1/4 from top)
    1 digital thermometer (1/4 from top)
    Aspen bedding
    bamboo hide (BP lives in here basically)
    rock hide
    large water dish
    plastic climbing/basking structure
    plastic wrap over 50% of top to keep humidity

Tank set up (4/05 - present)

2 over head heat lamps (75w tight beam day and 75w night)
    1 sticky thermometer (1/4 from top)
    1 sticky hydrometer (1/4 from top)
    2 digital thermometers (surface level)
    coconut fiber and reptile bark (50-50 split)
    2 almost identical bamboo hides (warm side and cold side)
    medium water dish
    wooden log over warm side hide
    aluminum foil between heat lamps to hold heat

Current temps taken with digital therm placed at surface level of substrate:
    90-94 basking area (day)
    78-82 cold (day)
    83-89? warm side (day)

83-85 hot spot (night)
    77-80 cold side (night)
    80-83 warm side (night

humidity stays between 50-70% (mist every other day)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A happy Bp is a hiding bp. Bp's aren't the snake to have if you want them to be out to see all the time.... Mine will be in their hides for days on end without moving. I would recommend getting a matching hide so they both match.....
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    +1 dragon

Ball pythons are nocturnal and will hide about 85% of the day. I only ever see mine if I take them out against their will during the day () or at night trying to escape. Also my other recommendation would be to invest in a temp gun, you didn't mention a heating pad of any sort but they get far too hot if they are not regulated by a thermostat or a dimmer. Also I think you should get two identical hides because if they favor one over the other, they will stay (say in the bamboo hide) no matter if they are too hot or too cold. I say get another bamboo hide and put it where the rock hide is instead.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    It was probably coming out consistently the past few weeks because it was still becoming familiar with its new surroundings. Now that it feels secure, it will hide most of the time.

In reference to your husbandry, everything seems great, but I would buy a digital thermo/hygrometer. You say you have a sticky one, trust me they aren't very accurate. There was an analog hygrometer in one of my tanks when I got it, so I left it in there but also purchased a digital AcuRite thermo/hygrometer. The "sticky" hygrometer read around 60% but the digital read much higher. So I do recommend running to WalMart for one of those Good luck!
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks
    Another "me too"....Java sometimes lays with his head poking out from his hide, but he only ever comes out to roam a day or two before feeding day.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
    2.0 Normal ball pythons, Java and Nyoka
    0.0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator, Hexadecimal
    0.0.1 Snow Corn, Yumi
    0.2 Mutt cats, Dizzy and Sumomo
    1.0 Shiba Inu, Hokkaido

Snake yawns are the cutest thing EVER

Thanks
    Ok now i think my BP's display the opposite of most BP's typical behavior. Mine do go in their hide but they like to climb a lot so I have tall cages with braches. One of mine often sits like a Green Tree Python on the top often. He also pushes his hide away from the heat pad so he can get on it without being in the hide. When I got him he just defied the typical behavior of all the things I read

Thanks

Re: First Time Owner - BP won't leave hide

Quote Originally Posted by Lopezxx2 View Post
    Ok now i think my BP's display the opposite of most BP's typical behavior. Mine do go in their hide but they like to climb a lot so I have tall cages with braches. One of mine often sits like a Green Tree Python on the top often. He also pushes his hide away from the heat pad so he can get on it without being in the hide. When I got him he just defied the typical behavior of all the things I read
    Haha! Mine does the same thing-she loves to climb and will stay out on the branch more then in her hide. She just chills there and watches me-she's one laid back snake

Thanks
    Mine hang in their hides all the time, except for a drink or #1, or 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Ball Pythons naturally spend most of their time in a burrow in the ground or termite mounds. The feel secure in dark small tight surroundings. They are the most active at night as mentioned before and that's when they prefer to venture around. A ball python in shed will tend to hide even more and remain inactive for the most part. This is all completely normal behavior for these guys.

The best way to allow for thermo-regulation is to have a hide on the cool and warm side and they generally will pick what they prefer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (04-11-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonboy4578 View Post
    A happy Bp is a hiding bp. Bp's aren't the snake to have if you want them to be out to see all the time.... Mine will be in their hides for days on end without moving. I would recommend getting a matching hide so they both match.....
    Both the hides I have currently inside are bamboo same length one is just slightly wider. One is on the warm side and one is on the cool.

I do not have any UTH so what would the value of getting a temp gun be? The night I changed the substrate I measured the temp of the tank on the glass and it was 75 with the coco fiber and bark on top of it.

Pride will often do the same thing where it will come to the front of its hide and poke its head out and just sit there for hours but not leave.

I do not expect my snake to be out during the day or to even be overally active but I'm just wondering if I should be concerned that I have not seen it fully leave its hide and explore its tank in almost a week (it could leave when i'm at work or sleep).

I've read that it will move to regulate its temp if it feels its needed but It doesn't matter what the temps are it seems like it doesn't want to move. There isn't much foot traffic besides me when i get home at night and I avoid walking in front of the tank. 2 of the 4 sides are blacked out and it is really calm every time I handle it except if i put it close to the ground then it goes exploring.

I'm leaving it alone while its in its shed and hoping that it will go back to its orginial habits once its over

*Sorry if this is confusing I was trying to answer all the questions or comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast