Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,331

0 members and 3,331 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Where to get pieds?

Hi everyone. I'm going to get my first BP ever (which also happens to be my first snake ever) in the near future. I'm still in the research stage right now; I want to be as prepared as I can.

Anyway, while looking at all the different morphs, I've fallen in love with pieds. The only problem is, every breeder I've looked at, if they even have any pieds, is selling them for hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars. And I'm not made of money. :p I didn't know if anyone knew of a breeder that sells their pieds a bit cheaper. My limit is probably $150, and even that's pushing it. My number one priority is the health of the animal; I don't want to sacrifice that just to get a pretty color. But I do kind of have my heart set on a pied. :p They're just so beautiful.

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hate to break your heart, you're not going to get a pied for that cheap. Sorry I'm thinking you'll have to drop AT LEAST $500-600 for a pied.

Thanks
    Pieds are noooot cheap!! But if it's your dream, keep saving..there will be pieds every season, trust me. You'll probably be able to afford a male if you can save up 500 or so!

They are a recessive morph which means it takes a little bit more effort to breed them as opposed to a codominant like a pastel.. Also, they are high in demand! So that keeps the price steep.

They are on my 'dream' animal list as well! Someday I'll have that kind of money! Haha, and of course my other dream animal is a clown, and boy are THOSE pricey too!!
    Last edited by purplemuffin; 04-11-2011 at 04:05 AM.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Even the lowest white pieds are going for about $700 and up depending on age and sex. If that's all you have to invest, I suggest starting with a normal. The proper set up will cost that much alone with thermometer to control the heat, thermostat, hygrometer, heat, 2 hides, bowl, etc..

They are not a very forgiving species. If everything is not perfect, they get respiratory infections easily which then costs hundreds at the vet to save it's life. Not to mention other problems that can occur.

Hang out here for awhile. Read all you can about husbandry. Check out the care sheet. The one posted on bpnet is the most accurate one I've seen. Get to know as much as you can before getting one. Research and price the supplies you need and have the proper size enclosure all set up and ready to go before getting a BP.

The people here are friendly and helpful and many many members also breed. Morphs will always cost more. It's an investment for the long haul with these guys so find out as much as you can. Most people start out with a normal so they can be sure they know everything they need to know before getting into morphs.

Thanks

Re: Where to get pieds?

I remember when the lowest was $10,000. I bought a hatchling pied a couple of years ago for $1500. I though that was a pretty reasonable price for a low-white pied.
    Last edited by Wh00h0069; 04-11-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I agree, I don't even think you'll find a good male for less than $700.00 for a while. I mean the prices are dropping and maybe after a couple more years they will be much cheaper, but there aren't too many morphs you will get for $150....especially a pied. You could probably find a pair of het pieds for around that, but I'd think they were a little more.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    They are so beautiful but very expensive. I have been checking them out everywhere because they are my dream snake. They are at least $700. Save up buy some equiptment here and there when you have the money and down the line get the snake.
    1.0 coral glow BP
    1.0 leuchistic blue eyed BP

Thanks
    better get normal,pastel,fire or spider.or other base morph.check price at bhbreptile.com or constrictor.com
    PLEASE CLICK HERE

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I had a feeling that was the answer I was going to get, but I figured I'd check just in case. That's alright. From what I've been reading everywhere, snakes are addictive. So I'm sure I'll end up with a pied at some point. It also doesn't help me any that I want a high white.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Don't feel bad, I got hooked on Pieds way back when the first one imported was featured on the cover of Reptiles magazine in the mid 90's.

Back then IF you could have found one for sale, it was in the neighborhood of 50K.

I finally got my first a year ago, a lovely low white male who is my foundation sire to one day make many kinds of Pied. He was a steal at $650.

Don't give up on your dream. Start yourself a pied jar like I did. In the meantime, get a nice inexpensive normal or base morph, learn all you can about their care, then when the time comes, you'll be able to pick out your dream snake and know exactly what you are doing.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast