Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,305

3 members and 3,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Wrinkly Ball Python?

OK, I have a couple of questions about my BP Lucy. I opened her tank to check on her, and saw a snakeskin. I took it out, and put the hide back in. She promptly crawled into the hide. However, I noticed that she was very wrinkly, and hasn't shed completely. Her head (With eyecaps) and about 2 inches of her neck has come off, but the rest hasn't. I know that BPs usually shed within a few minutes, and it has been almost an hour. I am spraying her down and keeping the humidity up, but this seems too strange to be left unchecked. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by apple2; 04-09-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Wrinkly Ball Python?

Do what you can with the humidity and leave her alone to see if she can finish the shed herself. If she hasn't gotten it off in a day or so refer to this thread on how to take care of it:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...hed-No-problem.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Soak her in lukewarm water for about 10-15 mins. Make the water just deep enough so that it comes about halfway up her body. Then get a towel or large wash cloth and wet it with lukewarm water. Make a circle with your hand and the towel and let her crawl through it. This should help the stuck shed come off. May have to do it a couple times.

Remember that human body temp is 98-something so anything that feels really warm to you is too warm for her.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    I don't wait for them to struggle with an obviously stuck shed, if they can't get it off in an hour or so I help them out.

Sterilite tub with lid, 1 to 1 1/2 inches of 85 degree water with a towel in the bottom for 30 minutes.
    If by then the shed is still not coming off easily replace with more 85 degree water and allow another 20-30 minute soak.
    After that soak I can about guarantee you the shed will be all off or close to it.
    *I also place a half log hide in the tub for the snake to rub against*
    Jerry Robertson

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    snakesRKewl nailed it. I've done that a few times with both of mine when I had them in tanks and had issues with the humidity. It works like a charm and keeps them from having any issues with small pieces sticking or not coming off. Just be sure to check and double check the water temp so that you don't get it too hot for them. Otherwise, good luck!
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Thanks
    Agreed it sounds like youve got a humidity issue and a dehydrated Bp. You'll have to fix that asap but what has been suggested I would do.