Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,170

2 members and 3,168 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

How important are annual vet visits?

How important is it to take your BPs in for annual vet visits? Back in Feb. I took the two BPs I owned at that time in for an annual exam. All my vet did was weigh my snakes and check for a respiratory infection and mites. I got charged $70 per snake, which just seems like a giant waste of money to me. I've come to realize my vet is full of s*** as he tried to tell me that belly heat was bad. There is another vet in my area that I've heard good things about, but before I go I want to know if it's really important. I hate feeling like I'm wasting my money, so should a standard vet visit include more than basic checks I already do?
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    They don't need it. Unless something is wrong, no need to take them to the vet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Apple Herps For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-08-2011)

Thanks
    I dont take my animals to a vet unless its needed, even then I generally will talk to a more experienced keeper before rushing off. I'd give a vet a call first before running down there. Its just not piratical for most of the issues that arise in ball pythons especially. There is no need to go to a vet for
    - a snake thats not eating. (check your husbandry, or the age of the animal)
    - a snake that keeps having bad sheds (check your husbandry)
    - a snake with dented eyecaps (check your husbandry)
    - to check the weight of a snake (a scale costs less than the visit fee).
    The sad thing is that many keepers have more experience dealing with the minor issues that these guys can have than actual vets do.

These are some of the scenarios I would personally be going to the vet for.
    A snake with a massive laceration or other injury, yes. Severe bite wounds (especially if there is a lot of exposed tissue) yes. Males with prolapsed hemipenes that may need surgery to correct, yes. Females retaining bad eggs and getting a septic infection, yes. Severe RIs, yes.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-08-2011),kitedemon (04-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: How important are annual vet visits?

I usually just take in fecal samples about every 6 months to make sure they haven't got any internal parasites going on, but that is just me.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-08-2011)

Thanks
    Tain't been yet to the vet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheWinWizard For This Useful Post:

Kinra (04-08-2011)

Thanks

First off you need to find a vet that is experienced in treating exotics the physiology of reptiles and birds is quite different than mammals, and IMO any vet worth their salt will be up front and tell you if they are competent in treating reptiles or not. My vet that I take my dog to is an amazing vet, if he wasn’t I would never trust my beloved girl with him. But he is the first to admit that he does not have the experience to treat reptiles. Second I totally agree that vet visit’s for snakes for any reason other than emergency medical care that you cannot or don’t want to do yourself, and newly acquired specimens that require test for health be it fecal, blood or what have you is for the most part just a waste of money. Now that being said like most wild animals snakes are masters at hiding symptoms of illness until they are very sick, especially from new and inexperienced keepers. So I would say carful observation of you animals so you know what is normal and see those little signs that tell you something is off is probably your best weapon in protecting your captives health and well being.

Thanks
    Basically if I believe I would go to a doctor for an injury like I see on my animal, I take it to the vet

As far as check ups, I do take mine occasionally, but more likely I go to get a fecal done if I want to see if everything is okay. It's easy to tell if an animal is well or not by observing it and your husbandry practices. If I know my snake is eating but is losing weight, I will take the fecal in to see if the snake has parasites!

I also make sure my vet knows reptiles! The vet near my house actually works with a reptile rescue, they see every new animal the rescue takes in so they have seen quite a bit of injured and sick reptiles.. They know what they are talking about, and I like that!

Registered User Drumsinthenight.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Most important is seeing an experienced herp vet.

Periodic fecal exams should be done to check for internal parasites.

You need to educate yourself about keeping herps healthy and what to look for if something is going wrong health wise.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Agreed that it must be an experienced Herp vet otherwise your likely to know more about the health of the reptile then the vet in my opinion.

Thanks

I personally take my guys to the vet when I first get them and subsequently after that for check ups. That said I do have several board certified exotics vets at the place I go to because it is a teaching hospital so they have everything. I also get discounts for being a student there and they teach me things when I go, for example I got to draw blood from my new guy last time I was there. I prefer to know what they look like when they are healthy and to have records of everything. My primary care vet also owns his own snakes so I trust him when it comes to mine. It's really up to you.
    1.0 normal BP - Boomerang
    1.0 pastel BP - Riu
    1.1 dogs - Jake & Joey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast