Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

1 members and 3,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rheostat issue

Thanks

Rheostat issue

So we have had a under the tank heating pad for months now to heat the warm side of her tank and it has worked out well. It's not the "sticky" kind because we didn't want that.

It looks like this:

http://www.bigappleherp.com/core/med...b4ebdb69ee9489

It has worked out perfectly fine but the problem is we were using a infrared bulb on a rheostat to heat her cool side of the tank to about 80 degrees and it was making it very difficult to keep the humidity at proper levels because the the infrared bulb was just sucking the humidity out of the entire enclosure. So we ordered another heating pad to use on her cool side with the rheostat but even at the lowest setting on the rheostat it is at 82.8(that seems a bit high considering the house temp is at 68 degrees and the rheostat dial is at the lowest position right before turning it off.

The warm side identical heating pad is not on a rheostat or anything to control it's temp and it's currently 88.5 degrees on the warm side.

The cool side identical heating pad is on a rheostat set at the lowest possible position and it's currently 83.3 degrees on the cool side.

That is only 5.1 degrees difference that the rheostat can control!

It's a zoo med rheostat:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/tc-photos/11...ard/512827.jpg

It is pissing me off that it can barely even control 5 measly degrees!

We don't have the money to buy a thermostat right now but is there better rheostats out there than this?
    Last edited by dr del; 04-08-2011 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Hotlinking

Thanks
    A cheap plug-in lamp dimmer will work fine.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
    2.0 Normal ball pythons, Java and Nyoka
    0.0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator, Hexadecimal
    0.0.1 Snow Corn, Yumi
    0.2 Mutt cats, Dizzy and Sumomo
    1.0 Shiba Inu, Hokkaido

Snake yawns are the cutest thing EVER

Thanks

Re: Rheostat issue

Hello,

I can understand your frustration with the Zoo Med devise you show in your post. Its unfortunately a P.O.S. I figured it out the hard way too so no sweat.

Heres what you do. My recommendation is that you go to the local pet store and pick up one of these Zilla Temperature Controllers. This devise ran about $35 at the local pet store here.

However you could go to a near by hardware store and ask to pick up a lamp dimmer, such as this one found here Lamp Dimmer Switch. There are literally hundred of different dimmer switches for lamps so its simply a matter of picking the one you want. The one linked has a nice little night light, which I thought was cool !

In the end please save up to get the actual temperature control devise (thermostat) as it will save you a lot of trouble in the long haul.

Hope this helps! I'm sure others will be along shortly to throw in their opinions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigByrd47119 For This Useful Post:

Superpop (04-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissDizzyBee View Post
    A cheap plug-in lamp dimmer will work fine.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
    Can you elaborate more and give further details?

I am not sure what you are referring to exactly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
    Hello,

I can understand your frustration with the Zoo Med devise you show in your post. Its unfortunately a P.O.S. I figured it out the hard way too so no sweat.

Heres what you do. My recommendation is that you go to the local pet store and pick up one of these Zilla Temperature Controllers. This devise ran about $35 at the local pet store here.

However you could go to a near by hardware store and ask to pick up a lamp dimmer, such as this one found here Lamp Dimmer Switch. There are literally hundred of different dimmer switches for lamps so its simply a matter of picking the one you want. The one linked has a nice little night light, which I thought was cool !

In the end please save up to get the actual temperature control devise (thermostat) as it will save you a lot of trouble in the long haul.

Hope this helps! I'm sure others will be along shortly to throw in their opinions.

We plan on getting a thermostat eventually but money is VERY TIGHT right now as we are currently in the middle of the process of putting a sump-pump in the basement as well as finishing the basement itself.

In the meantime would a "lamp dimmer" like the one you linked me to have a broader temperature control range than the stupid zoo med rheostat's 5 degrees???

BTW...I am basically going to do my best to force zoo med to take back their lame rheostat! I am going to send them an email informing them that if they don't offer me a full refund for their CRAP that I will not only trash their company on every reptile forum I can find but any product review sites as well.
    If they don't take this crappy rheostat back I at least know I will be able to cause much more lost sales to them than the rheostat is worth!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
    My recommendation is that you go to the local pet store and pick up one of these Zilla Temperature Controllers. This devise ran about $35 at the local pet store here.
    What is that exactly? I can't even discern if it is a rheostat or a thermostat!

If it is actually a thermostat I would consider buying it(online of course ....because I have NEVER seen it at any of the petcos, petsmarts or petlands around here)

If it's a thermostat I am totally interested in it(I thought reptile thermostats cost $150+!)

If it's just a fancy rheostat I would sooner use a cheap "lamp dimmer".

Thanks
    If you go with a lamp dimmer make sure its one with a dial or a slide. some dimmers only have a few settings kind of like those touch lamps. It will tank a little while to get your temps where you want them but when you do take a marker and mark where you have the dimmer set. You will also need to keep an eye on the temps. They will fluctuate with the ambient temperature of the room your enclosure is in.
    Last edited by Maverick67; 04-08-2011 at 04:40 AM.
    0.1 B.P. (normal)-Scarlett
    3.0??? Painted turtles- Gott, Hammer, Coleman
    1.1 Dog (Husky/Shepard)-Maverick (Terrier mix)-Gypsy
    0.1 Spouse-Anjie
    2.1 Children -Miranda, Elliott, Bennett

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Superpop View Post
    What is that exactly? I can't even discern if it is a rheostat or a thermostat!

If it is actually a thermostat I would consider buying it(online of course ....because I have NEVER seen it at any of the petcos, petsmarts or petlands around here)

If it's a thermostat I am totally interested in it(I thought reptile thermostats cost $150+!)

If it's just a fancy rheostat I would sooner use a cheap "lamp dimmer".
    Thermostat.

Its actually very nice. Not fancy mind you, but very effective.

Its an analogue rather than a digital like many people use. I have two at the moment and both seem to require being set at 2 degrees above the temperature you want.

Petland is where I bought mine! If they don't have one, tell them to get one shipped to the store for you!

All is not perfect mind you. I personally would prefer a digital but for the price I cant say no. The temp probe is rather large and bulky, like a "probe" that might be brought up in the discussion of aliens abducting humans...It clicks on and off which is audible from across a quiet room but in a living room would probably be almost unnoticeable.

As for the Zoo Med devise, a quick internet search would have returned hundreds or bad reviews. I also figured this out too late !

In the meantime would a "lamp dimmer" like the one you linked me to have a broader temperature control range than the stupid zoo med rheostat's 5 degrees???
    Most will give you the complete spectrum of power to the devise. The issue with the Zoo Med is that the juice getting to your UTH is predetermined based on the Low, Medium, and High settings.
    Last edited by BigByrd47119; 04-08-2011 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Added Comment

Thanks

Found it on Petco's website. Petco Zilla Temperature Controller

There are two different ones. The one that is 500w (which is what I bought) only has a spot for one devise to plug into it. The other which is 1000w has spots for 3 devices. I was surprised at their price, $41 is about what I paid out the door at Petland. However I couldn't locate the item in question on Petlands website.
    Last edited by BigByrd47119; 04-08-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Yeah, all of our Petcos here in SA carry the Zilla 1K but they are $10 higher in the store.
    You might be able to take that POS rheostat to a petsmart or petco for in-store credit I know petsmart carries it.................I have 2 that wont drop below 98 degrees! Though with that rheostat and a lamp dimmer together I have VERY touchy temp settings and can adjust by .01 degree with ease

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast