Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 928

1 members and 927 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Hello everyone

Thanks

Hello everyone

Hi, my name is Matthew, and I am a new BP owner, and obviously a new member to this forum. I typically am just more of a lurker and not a poster on most forums. But I have been using all your guys' posts to help answer any of my questions, so I decided to intoduce myself. I bought my normal BP at the end Jan. this year at a local pet store. I was told he was a male, and 8 months old, but I know I cant fully rely on that info. I named him Buck, after the guitar player Buckethead. My girlfriend an I are renting a room from our friends which is terrible with keeping a steady temp. In summer its blaring hot, and winter its freezing cold! This has made things a bit more difficult for me. I keep him in a terrarium. Something I want to look nice, and meet all of my BPs needs.

I have him in a 30 gal. long tank. It has a slide in mesh lid with a lock. For heat I am using a UTH on the left side, which covers about 1/3 of the tank. I have it hooked up to a Herpstat ND to control the temps. Because our room fluctuates temps so much, and gets so cold, I also am running a 75 watt red heat bulb above the tank 24/7. I have this bulb hooked up to a zoo med rheostat, so I can turn it up, down, or off depending on the temps. On the far right of the tank I have a very small heat pad which is programmed to turn on at night. Sometimes his cool side would drop a little too low at night for my liking. I have this hooked up to a cheap target dimmer, so I can have it low or off in summer, and higher on a cold winter night. I also have a sheet of foil along the dresser below all of the heat pads to try and retain some heat and save some electricity. Along the back of the tank I have a thick foam board (green) suction cupped to the outside of his tank. This helps making him feel secure, and keeps the temps up from being near a window.

Hummidity is a bit of an issue using the heat lamp, so I spray a little bit in his tank everyday. I also have plexiglass covering about half the top of the tank, with a damp towel (which I wet daily) in between the plexiglass and the mesh. I heard towels will soak up the hummidity, so I have tried foil, but that doesnt seem to do the trick for me. I have a larger corner water bowel in his tank to help a little bit with hummidity, which I change the water every other day. For substrate I am using Eco Earth to help with hummidity even a little bit more, which is the only reason I am feeding outside the tank.

Under the Eco Earth I have some reptile carpet above each heat pad to help prevent any burns. Beacause of this I have to set the Herpstat at a higher temp to achieve the temps I want for is hot side. I am measuring his temps with 2 probed thermometers, one on each side. Also a third thermometer/hygrometer I have dead center of the tank. I also use a Pro Exotics temp gun once a day to double check my temps. He has two hides, although not identical hides like some people recommed. I have found that not quite necessary for my BP.

I gave him a week to adjust to his new home when I first got him, even though it was SO hard to do! I just wanted to play with him! The first time he shed it was in little bits and pieces all over the place. Since then I have found ways to up the hummidity, and his last shed was one perfect piece, and came off in just two days. He eats once a week, (pre-killed mice) and has had 7 meals. Never refused one. He digests all of his meals just fine. I dont handle him too much, about 10 or 15 minutes a day, if that. He is really sweet, has never struck at me. I just love the little guy and want whats best for him.

Wow...sorry for anyone who reads all that! Haha, I just started typing and it all came out. I will also post a really bad cell phone picture of Bucks tank set up, and a picture of him. Thanks for being a cool, very helpful, and fun forum for me to read through!

His tank set up.

Very bad picture of Buck.

Thanks

Re: Hello everyone

Hey hey, Welcome to the forum. Looks like you did your research and your setup looks great. Its really nice to see first time posters with things sorted out nicely . I just got my Tuna on the first of March. She was apparently 6 months old (like you I doubt the info). How much does Buck weigh? I love the name by the way

Buck is looking good (but yeah your pic sucks haha)
    0.1 Normal Ball Python--> Tuna
    0.0.1 Anery Cornsnake---> Sable

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    -Steve Irwin (RIP)

Thanks

Thank you Johan! That is the one thing I have been lacking on...a scale! I am not sure of his weight. I am 100% sure though that he has been growing, and gaining weight since I have bought him, so I have not been too worried. But it is something on my list to buy.
    Last edited by Matt2190; 04-07-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Registered User Drumsinthenight.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2190 View Post
    Thank you Johan! That is the one thing I have been lacking on...a scale! I am not sure of his weight. I am 100% sure though that he has been growing, and gaining weight since I have bought him, so I have not been too worried. But it is something on my list to buy.
    Great, a scale is a lot of fun. I like using the wt of my ball to determine food size. 10-15% body weight and you know your good (I check to make sure it ain't too fat of course). When I got my girl last much she weighed 293 grams. A little over a month later and she weighs 474 grams. She is growing really fast
    0.1 Normal Ball Python--> Tuna
    0.0.1 Anery Cornsnake---> Sable

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    -Steve Irwin (RIP)

Thanks
    Matt! Nice shot of Buck. I like it when they roll into a ball and peak.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Welcome.....
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood