Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,889

3 members and 1,886 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Has anyone tried this.....

Wondering if anyone has tried putting thin foam board on the inside of the bottom, of a glass tank, to help with keeping heat in. We did the 3 sides, inside the tank and outside the tank, and it only helped a little, so now I'm thinking of doing the bottom on the inside.
    Will the UTH burn the foam. The foam is from home depot. I have some thick paper grocery bags over the heat pad right now to try and keep it from getting to hot, I tried a flat rock but that just got as hot as the heat pad.
    also, has anyone tried getting a peice of plexi glass and putting it on the inside of the front of the tank, to keep heat in, I guess I would only put it along the front since the foam is on the other 3 sides.
    Thanks

Thanks

Re: Has anyone tried this.....

Quote Originally Posted by ocean girl View Post
    Wondering if anyone has tried putting thin foam board on the inside of the bottom, of a glass tank, to help with keeping heat in. We did the 3 sides, inside the tank and outside the tank, and it only helped a little, so now I'm thinking of doing the bottom on the inside.
    Will the UTH burn the foam. The foam is from home depot. I have some thick paper grocery bags over the heat pad right now to try and keep it from getting to hot, I tried a flat rock but that just got as hot as the heat pad.
    also, has anyone tried getting a peice of plexi glass and putting it on the inside of the front of the tank, to keep heat in, I guess I would only put it along the front since the foam is on the other 3 sides.
    Thanks

So the foam is acting as insulation? Heat escapes upward, so if you have a screen top, covering the majority of that will be the best way to keep heat/humidity in. The old tried and true under the tank heater with a thermostat to regulate temperature with some substrate like aspen works fine for heating the snake. I doubt you'd need any kind of insulation. I've used a piece of acrylic over the screen to help keep humidity in the tank, but eventually discovered that tubs are really the best way to go for the general husbandry.

Good luck!
    Jim

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

As Jim said heat raises, insulating under the UTH won't really help, your best bet is to focus on part of the top of the tank or the insulating 3 of the sides with foam.

I have some thick paper grocery bags over the heat pad right now to try and keep it from getting to hot, I tried a flat rock but that just got as hot as the heat pad.
    Thanks
    You mean you have the grocery bags between the UTH and bottom of the glass or on top of the glass over the UTH? Either way that may not be the best way to control the heat output of your UTH. Although its now less dangerous if the temperature in the rooms changes, goes down for instance, now your UTH will not be providing adequate heat.

I would highly recommend instead running your UTH through a thermostat (such as:http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR.../dp/B000NZZG3S) and checking that the surface temperature of the warm side is at about 88-93 degrees with a thermometer with attached probe in contract with the surface or better yet a IR thermostat (such as:www.tempgun.com).
    Last edited by Adam Chandler; 04-06-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

All insulation should go outside the tank.

I have, in the past, used cork sheeting on the sides, back and bottom of a tank with the heatpad applied directly between the cork and the glass base of the tank.

To control the heatpad use a thermostat.

Monkeying about with insulation on top of it is not only self defeating it is actually dangerous. You are basically running a heatsource full blast and trapping the heat inside a pocket composed of flammable materials - in no way, shape or form is that a good idea.

Put the thermostat probe between the heatpad and the glass base of the tank.

Use small rubber stick on feet for the tank to allow you to do this as it will mean a bulge in the insulation. Don't try and force it as flat as possible as this can damage the heat pad and cause hot spots etc as well as a possible fire risk.

dr del
    Last edited by dr del; 04-06-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

I've never heard of anyone actually insulating with foam on the inside of a tank, but I'm sure it's been done. I personally wouldn't use foam inside the enclosure. On the bottom and maybe the sides, it will easly become soiled by the snake's poop and pee. I don't think the UTH would burn the foam if you are regulating it to the proper 88-94* temperatures on the warm side with a dimmer, rheostat, or a thermostat. However, it's not something I'd personally want to figure out on my own.

If I read correctly, are you trying to say that you are using paper bags to basically regulate the temperature from the UTH? If so, that is really not going to cut it.

My advice to you is to:
    1) Ditch all the foam or at least move it to the outside of the tank.
    2) The only way to keep the UTH from getting to hot is to invest in a device to regulate it. Before I got a thermostat for mine, it reached temperatures of 114* and that is WAY too hot for a BP. That is why your snake isn't going into his warm hide. If you can't afford a thermostat, you can get a lamp dimmer from Home Depot or even a manual type rheostat from most pet supply stores.
    3) Instead of the foam, do a foil treatment on your lid and follow this tutorial.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...um+foil+screen
    This is exactly what I did to my tank, except I only left one opening instead of two. Before I did this, I had the same problem with not being able to hold heat or humidity in my tank. Now that I've done the foil treatment on my screen cover, everything is great.
    Last edited by Bones; 04-06-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    (If you want to be cool, taken seriously and accepted on reptile forums, insert the same X.X or X.X.X signature that everyone else has here.)

Thanks
    Okay, thanks everyone. I guess I will now have to purchase a thermastat. This snake is costing soooo much.
    I was puting the paper bags on the inside of the tank and the uth is under the tank, stuck on.
    I am just trying to compramise till I save up more money.
    Maybe the tank is to big to hold the heat in. Its 37 inches long, 21 inches high and 11 inches deep.
    I can try covering the lid more, I was just afraid that the snake wouldn't have enough air.
    I have the uth on the right side and I put the ceramic light bulb on the lid on the left side because I was trying to raise the temps on the cold side. Should both be on the one side?
    which side should I put the air vent?

Thanks

Okay, thanks everyone. I guess I will now have to purchase a thermastat. This snake is costing soooo much.
    I was puting the paper bags on the inside of the tank and the uth is under the tank, stuck on.
    I am just trying to compramise till I save up more money.
    They don't have to be expensive. Paper towels/newspaper can be used for substrate, Tupperware containers can be used for hides, a small heavy glass crock bowl can be used for a water bowl and you can even use a plastic Sterilite bin to house the snake. There are other ways to compromise and cut corners that won't harm your snake and the things I listed are just a few of those things. Compromising a heat regulation device can cost the snake it's health and if it's bad enough, it's life. I don't see how you were worried about the foam catching fire, but not the paper bags. You can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a light dimmer switch and that shouldn't run you more than $15. I just purchased a rheostat for my Boa that is in quarantine and that costed me $21. Believe me, I understand having to save up for something. But in this case, a cheap light dimmer is better than nothing.

Maybe the tank is to big to hold the heat in. Its 37 inches long, 21 inches high and 11 inches deep.
    I can try covering the lid more, I was just afraid that the snake wouldn't have enough air.
    I have the uth on the right side and I put the ceramic light bulb on the lid on the left side because I was trying to raise the temps on the cold side. Should both be on the one side?
    which side should I put the air vent?
    It isn't too big. I have my snake in the same size tank that you have. It doesn't matter which side you have the opening in. If in doubt, cut maybe a 3"x3" opening on one side and another 3"x3" opening on the other. The snake will have plenty of air. I really suggest you follow the tutorial I posted because it WILL help and it doesn't take long to do and doesn't cost hardly anything. As soon as you foil your lid, go get a dimmer switch to control the heat pad, and don't even use the CHE at first until you can see if the temperatures have improved.

Do you have digital thermometers that are reading the temps in your hot and cold sides? Do you know what the humidity is?
    (If you want to be cool, taken seriously and accepted on reptile forums, insert the same X.X or X.X.X signature that everyone else has here.)

Thanks

I don't know why I wan't concerned with the paper bags, maybe cause the aspen bedding isn't much different. Not sure what foam is made of and if its easily meltable?
    I do have temp gages, not didgitol though, I looked for one at walmart last night, they had nothing.
    Humidity is 70 right now, cold side is 75 hot side is 88. I watched the video, I have since covered more of the lid but the temps still aren't rising.
    How does a dimmer attatch to the heat pad plug?? Not sure??
    I feel so bad for the snake, he has been sleeping in unsatisfactory heating conditions for almost 10 days now. What may happen to him if I don't hurry up and figure this out?
    Can I remove the uth and put it on a different cage. maybe a plastic container??

Thanks

I don't know why I wan't concerned with the paper bags, maybe cause the aspen bedding isn't much different. Not sure what foam is made of and if its easily meltable?
    I do have temp gages, not didgitol though, I looked for one at walmart last night, they had nothing.
    Humidity is 70 right now, cold side is 75 hot side is 88. I watched the video, I have since covered more of the lid but the temps still aren't rising.
    How does a dimmer attatch to the heat pad plug?? Not sure??
    I feel so bad for the snake, he has been sleeping in unsatisfactory heating conditions for almost 10 days now. What may happen to him if I don't hurry up and figure this out?
    Can I remove the uth and put it on a different cage. maybe a plastic container??
    Some temp gauges are better than no temp gauges, but those analog dial-type ones can be pretty far off. If you're looking for the Accu-rite everyone talks about from Walmart, it should be in the hardware section with the outdoor thermometers.
    As for the dimmer, here is the one I had before I got my thermostat.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    The heat pad plugs in where it plugs into the wall, almost like a plug-extension. Then there is a cord with a slider to increase or decrease the current to the plug.
    As for what can happen, if the snake doesn't move himself off of the heat (which can happen if they choose security of the hide over thermoregulation) your snake could end up with a nasty burn. I don't think that moving the heat pad to a different enclosure will really make a difference. I'd just recommend getting some kind of heat regulation going ASAP...

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    As everyone else stated, get your heat pad regulated.
    I keep my heat all on the same side WITH a ceramic water bowl on part of the mat, this will get your humidity up.
    The dimmers that I have used are like $10 at homedepot and your pad plugs into it (they are called a lamp dimmer)
    Also you need to find a digital thermometer to get a good idea of your temps.
    My walmart has stopped carrying the ones I like, they really cut their temp guages way back! They do have the indoor/outdoor ones still but they are almost always out.