Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

0 members and 3,352 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Killed but did not eat

Last night I offered a live young rat and she struck and killed but then left it and did NOT eat! She just went back in her hide after a few minutes and even an hour later showed NO interest.

Keep in mind she forced me to start feeding live recently, and just last week I started keeping feeders at the house due to the drive, so feeding the baby rat that I had watched and given treats too for a week was bad enough. Having my BP kill and then walk away made it worse!

Is this normal? I guess I shouldn't have offered food 6 days after her last feeding? After her long fast I wanted to make sure she was eating enough and did not expect her to kill and then waste.
    Last edited by Sonya610; 04-05-2011 at 06:58 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.0.1 Ball Python, 4.2 Canines, 1.0 Feline, 2.0 Pet Rats

Thanks

Re: Killed but did not eat

It happens. I don't think it had anything to do with offering food after 6 days, though.

If it happens again, try to encourage her to strike again by doing the mouse/rat dance with the dead rat held in a pair of tongs a few inches away from her nose. Sometimes they will stop eating if it doesn't "feel" right to them. I have a couple of snakes that will absolutely not eat unless they strike the rat square on the nose.

Good luck!

-Lawrence

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xdeus For This Useful Post:

Sonya610 (04-05-2011)

Thanks
    It's very annoying, but it does happen sometimes. I think some of the more timid feeders will abandon a food item if it is disturbed before it has a chance to start swallowing. With an aggressive feeder, I think its eyes are sometimes too big for its stomach. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often, and I'll bet your snake will eat fine next time.
    Maki
    www.PacificCoastReptiles.com
    Also on Facebook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MakiMaki For This Useful Post:

Sonya610 (04-05-2011)

Thanks

Yes I did the zombie dance thing about 30 minutes after she abandoned her kill. I don't think she even attempted to swallow based on the rats position. She is generally a very aggressive eater when she is really hungry, darn near comes after me when she smells a live rat and hears the cage opening.

Sorry to sound sentimental but feeding live is very hard for me especially after I have kept the feeders for several days (she was on frozen for 2 years). I am trying my best to deal with this live food thing but it is really difficult.
    Last edited by Sonya610; 04-05-2011 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks

Don't be sorry about being sentimental! It's hard for many people, myself included. I sort of accidentally got into having snakes (long story) but, I'm one of those "converted people" who went from fear to love of them (only took 2 years to get completely converted..heh)

Initially it didn't bother me at all to feed live. One day I had an extra rat though and I made the mistake of petting/playing with it. After that I couldn't do live feeds anymore-I ended up with 3 pet rats and gave away the snake I had because I didn't think snakes were for me after all.

I soon realized that I missed having a snake-it was the live feedings that bothered me not the "snake"..lol. I was so new to snakes I didn't know there was such a thing as f/t

I am very lucky that mine take f/t though-wish you the best of luck with it!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Juliemay13 For This Useful Post:

Sonya610 (04-05-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juliemay13 View Post
    After that I couldn't do live feeds anymore-I ended up with 3 pet rats and gave away the snake I had because I didn't think snakes were for me after all.
    Better hope yours stays on F/T...I was sure mine would! and yes I have two elderly pet rats which makes it hard (but they were sort of rescues and when they go to rattie heaven I really do NOT want more pet rats so there is no way I am keeping those feeders).

I am trying really hard with this live food thing but just do not know if I can keep my BP if this doesn't get easier fast. I just ordered a $200 custom built cage for her last night, well actually 2 of those cages as I want to get a pretty (easy to feed) Garter Snake. I am committed to doing the right thing for the BP but this is just...well awful!

If I do have to rehome her I will make sure the cage goes along so at least she will have a nice and comfy home.
    Last edited by Sonya610; 04-05-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks
    She sounds a little stressed. What her regime been lately. I had a cinny girl do the same when I moved her into a larger tub. She was defensively killing. It's something they will do as a stress response. She did this repeatedly for 2 months until I put her back in the smaller tub. Immediatly she changed. Literally over night. So have you been offering food too often? Has something changed. You said she was eating ft. Why did she stop. Could it have just been winter fast? The live prey is a little different for them then ft is. The prey is all over the place, climbs on them, jumps around, and gets in their personal space. They will kill it to just defend themselves. Just some thoughts for ya.