Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

3 members and 3,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Anorexic Kenyan sand boa

Hi, all!

I have a juvenile Kenyan sand boa that is 4-6 grams and about 7 inches long. She is currently housed on aspen, but as not eaten on her own since I acquired her around the end of November 2010. I started doing assist-feedings in January of this year and managed to get five good meals into her, but I offered live, brained, scented pinks for over a month before force-feeding. Prior to the feedings, she was quite lethargic despite temperatures in the 80s (which I realize is too low, but it was cold winter here), and her muscle tone was poor. She became more active and alert after the feedings and defecated normally. Starting in mid to late February, I was able to raise her temperatures to 95-104F on one end of the tank, and she has still shown no interest in live, scented, brained F/T pinkie mice. I have been thinking about finding some feeder geckos or anoles, but I need some seriously tiny animals as the snake is only able to eat day-old pinkie mice. Do any of you have suggestions as to where I might find a good supplier of feeder geckos/anoles of this size or on the situation in general?

Here she is after eating a pinkie...with help...

Last edited by gecko_foot; 04-05-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Pictures added

Thanks
    It might be that she is simply too cold. I work at a Petsmart and we are lucky if the temps in our reptile cages gets above 85. We have a kenyan sand boa and he wouldn't eat on his own until recently (store temp is going up a bit due to warm weather). I had to assist feed him twice until one day he just began eating on his own. I'd bump up her temps a bit.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Anorexic Kenyan sand boa

Daytime temps are consistently 100F. You think I should go higher?

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    You are lucky she doesn't have a RI with temps that low. At that weight its either seriously under weight or just a baby still. Keep it between 95-105, Have you noticed any clicking when breathing or tongue forks sticking? I applaud you for force feeding, I haven't had to do it myself yet but I am sure you are giving it a fighting chance.
    1.0 Ball Python, 1.2 Corn Snake, 3.2 KSB, 1.0 RSSB, 4.4 Rosy Boa, 1.0 Longicauda, 1.1 gopher snake, 1.1 hognose

Pike's Peak Herp Society

Thanks

She has no signs of an RI, and I just took her in for a vet check a few days ago. They didn't find anything abnormal. I'm hoping to try feeder her a live feeder lizard...if I can find one small enough....

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks
    I would assume pinky mice would be the ideal food?? Lizards?
    1.0 Ball Python, 1.2 Corn Snake, 3.2 KSB, 1.0 RSSB, 4.4 Rosy Boa, 1.0 Longicauda, 1.1 gopher snake, 1.1 hognose

Pike's Peak Herp Society

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shmoges View Post
    I would assume pinky mice would be the ideal food?? Lizards?
    Just to see if it would make any difference. I'm trying to feed her whatever she'll eat

Thanks
    That really sucks, Ours feed pretty good on live or f/t unless they are in that time of the year mode or sick like 2 of our males atm. They say they can have feeding issues when in shed but we haven't had that yet.

Pike's Peak Herp Society

Thanks
    I'm working on it. I'm going to switch to a smaller cage as others have suggested to see if that will help.

Thanks
    What substrate? belly heat or top heat? Our animals seem to like sand and crushed walnut subs, we feed out side of there enclosures.

Pike's Peak Herp Society

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast