Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,169

3 members and 3,166 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

building a rack and i need an advice

I'm building a 4 tub rack for my room should I place the uth glued to the tub or to the shelf? Another question is should I use the lids on the tub or should I go without them and use the shelf as lid. My room is usually around 70 degrees so I need all the heat from the uth. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I always put the thermostat probe taped directly onto the flexwatt or UTH. That way you can monitor the actual mat. As far as lids go I use them, some don't, I think it's just your personal preference and what the rack looks like and if it's safe to use just the top shelf as a lid or not.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Re: building a rack and i need an advice

Quote Originally Posted by thgstang View Post
    I'm building a 4 tub rack for my room should I place the uth glued to the tub or to the shelf? Another question is should I use the lids on the tub or should I go without them and use the shelf as lid. My room is usually around 70 degrees so I need all the heat from the uth. Thanks

I built my own rack and I don't think glue is a good thing to use on a uth wha if it shorts out now u gotta fight the glue off and the heat tape should go in the shelf not on the bin. I use my tops holds humidity better

Thanks

You definitely want to put the uth right on the rack shelving -- having the uth directly on the tub takes away from the convenience of the rack and sort of defeats the purpose. The tubs are much easier to clean and hose down if need be also.

Going without lids is definitely a lot less of a hassle, and as long as you have the tubs fitting tightly in your rack I believe humidity loss from not using an actual lid would be very minimal.

Check out the DIY forum for some great ideas and pics of other people's racks.

Good luck!
    George

My Collection:

1.1 Normal Python Regius (Cleveland & Betty White)
    1.0 Spider Python Regius (Peter Parker)
    1.1 Canis Lupus Familiaris -- Pug (Guster & Guinness)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thgstang View Post
    If your using large tubs you'll want 11x12 flexwatt IMO to keep up the cool end ambient properly.
    If your building with melamine then go lidless, if your using plywood I'd stick with using lids.
    The tubs slide over the uth, as mentioned taping/gluing the uth to the tub makes it very difficult to clean properly.
    Jerry Robertson