Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,421

1 members and 3,420 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding inside enclosure Vs. in a separate enclosure. (questions)

We have had Snickers since late July of last year.

We have always fed her inside a separate enclosure not do to aggression issues(she has always been pretty damn passive...although once in a while when holding her she will climb towards my face and lick my nose...which I love...it tickles) The reason we feed her outside of her enclosure is due to her aspen substrate. We don't want her accidentally swallowing it.

After she eats we give her an hour to settle and then we put her back to her enclosure and 90% of the time she is just perfectly fine and chills for a few minutes and then roams around her enclosure before going to one of her hides but a few times she darted for her hides instantly. She has never regurgitated but I worry she might get agitated enough one day where she might regurgitate.

She pushes the mice(frozen/thawed...we don't feed live) all the way across the bin sometimes before she eats it and that is why i worry about putting paper towels down in her home enclosure because there is nothing stopping her from shoving the mouse onto the substrate before she eats it.

I am torn to what to do because this is a possible regurgitation vs. possible compaction. Plus she is already used to eating the way she has

Thoughts??? I am really torn over what to do at this point.

Thanks
    I have fed a snake in a separate enclosure for almost two years now. Partially because of substrate worries and partially because her enclosure is too freakin high up! I can't reach in well, and if something went wrong I couldn't get in there to help. So we feed her in a spare ten gallon. We've always just picked her right up as soon as the rat looks settled and put her back in her cage. Never had a regurge--that happens moreso if you really stress the snake..Handling them for a couple hours or so, not a good idea. Just moving the snake isn't that big of a problem.

A lot of people question the worry of impaction in snakes anyway, though I have seen it happen before. Generally speaking if the temps are right it shouldn't be a problem and your snake should be able to pass it. But it still worries me, I'd rather feed on paper towels. She's being moved to a lower down enclosure anyway where she will be fed in the enclosure on paper towels.

Some people like to put in a paper towel or paper plate in the enclosure over the rat for the snake to eat on. Prevents any worry of substrate ingestion for you, and you don't have to move the snake after it eats.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to purplemuffin For This Useful Post:

Drumsinthenight. (04-03-2011)

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    I feed my female normal out of her tank because when I got her I was under the impression that feeding in the tank encourages tank aggression. I now know this is a disputed issue.

My male pastel is still pretty new and awful shy so he refuses to eat except in his tank. I use repti-bark and have had no issues with him getting any in his mouth. When I defrost the ft I put them in a plastic bag and then in the water so they don't get wet.

When I feed my normal outside her tank I usually put her back after like 5 or 10 mins. I just pick her up pretty gently and try not to "bend" her too much. She roams a tad then finds a hide and takes a nap. I've yet to have any problems.

So my advice to you would be to continue what you're doing. Perhaps put her back a bit sooner just cause I worry she would get too cold.

Registered User Drumsinthenight.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I think it's more a matter of preference and how many snakes that must be fed in 1 day.

Thanks

Re: Feeding inside enclosure Vs. in a separate enclosure. (questions)

I'm still learning a lot-have had snakes only the last cpl of years but, the one point that was drilled into me was to feed in a different container. One reason was for subtrate issues (possible ingestion) and the other was (supposedly) to keep them from thinking your hand coming inside their area was "food" if they were used to eating in their housing. This has worked out really good for me because it makes me take the time to handle them by getting them out to feed, lol, and they know what the tubs mean

I feed mine f/t too but I give them only about 10 mins once they have completely fed and I can see that it's settled into their midsection. Then I move them back in their housing and leave them alone for a cpl of days.

I've never had either of them regurgitate and they usually head right for their hides too. Again, I'm fairly new at this but I don't see anything wrong with the way you mentioned you're doing now. Good luck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juliemay13 View Post
    I'm still learning a lot-have had snakes only the last cpl of years but, the one point that was drilled into me was to feed in a different container. One reason was for subtrate issues (possible ingestion) and the other was (supposedly) to keep them from thinking your hand coming inside their area was "food" if they were used to eating in their housing. This has worked out really good for me because it makes me take the time to handle them by getting them out to feed, lol, and they know what the tubs mean

I feed mine f/t too but I give them only about 10 mins once they have completely fed and I can see that it's settled into their midsection. Then I move them back in their housing and leave them alone for a cpl of days.

I've never had either of them regurgitate and they usually head right for their hides too. Again, I'm fairly new at this but I don't see anything wrong with the way you mentioned you're doing now. Good luck
    *I just realized this sort of read like I handled them only during feeding, lol. I play with them all the time-the feeding just makes sure I get another handling in with them and I don't get lazy about playing with them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poundhound2 View Post

So my advice to you would be to continue what you're doing. Perhaps put her back a bit sooner just cause I worry she would get too cold.
    She has an infrared bulb sitting on her old screen top lid in the enclosure she eats in....

I worry It might be to warm...not too cold.

Her home enclosure has thermometers with probes on both sides and rheostats to control the temps of the heat pads.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    I always ask when this comes up.

Whatcha gunna do when the mean ole 3000 gram female breeder comes after you....
    I have females that will try to take your arm off during breeding season, tell me I am going to take her out of her home to feed her...NOT
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    I always ask when this comes up.

Whatcha gunna do when the mean ole 3000 gram female breeder comes after you....
    I have females that will try to take your arm off during breeding season, tell me I am going to take her out of her home to feed her...NOT

Well I just call our Snickers a "Her"....I really have no idea if that is the case but Snickers is our only snake and we have no plans on breeding so I don't see the point in getting Snickers sexed and I certainly have no desire to hurt Snickers by doing it myself. If Snickers is ever in need of vet care we will provide it but unless the vet care is gender related we will never have Snickers "sexed"!
    Last edited by Superpop; 04-03-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superpop View Post
    Well I just call our Snickers a "Her"....I really have no idea if that is the case but Snickers is our only snake and we have no plans on breeding so I don't see the point in getting Snickers sexed and I certainly have no desire to hurt Snickers by doing it myself. If Snickers is ever in need of vet care we will provide it but unless the vet care is gender related we will never have Snickers "sexed"!
    The point I am getting at is they get bigger and have big appetites, especially females

I find that picking up my snakes will throw them off feed for the time being, after all they think I'm taking them out to play, not to eat
    It's all in how you program them, feeding in or out of the enclosure is a personal decision and as long as the snake eats and stays healthy then it doesn't matter which you do.
    Jerry Robertson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast