Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,112

1 members and 1,111 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Substrate help in Oregon USA please

Hey I live in the salem area of oregon. I have a fast growing collection of snakes especially ball pythons. I currently keep them on Coconut fiber stuff, like eco earth, the stuff that expands when you put it in water. I like it for the most part but I am starting to have some serious problems with it. My main problem is that when I feed the balls, I feed them I their cages. It is where they are comfortable and won't eat out of their cages.

So since I feed them in their cages they are starting to get the substrate in their mouths. This was a serious problem; today the substrate was caked in one of my balls mouths and he couldn't breath, he actually stopped moving and breath, so i grabbed him out of his cage and had to rise out his mouth with water. He is fine now but I scared the hell out of me. As you can see there is clearly a problem and I want to switch to a new substrate ASAP. I don't want to use newspaper or aspen, it holds moisture horribly (I keep my tanks at around 50% humidity) and I'm not a big fan of either. Newspaper can dye the snakes bellies, and aspen can mold if you aren't carefully.

So I need something that isn't pet store brand that doesn't cost a lot, and that I can get big quantities of locally. I have heard of cypress and eucalyptus mulch, they hold moisture well and are fairly cheap. The problem is I can't find it here locally at all, ever where I have called doesn't have it, i have tired asking if they can order it and most places can't, or i have to buy a whole plate which i don't need.

SO does anyone I the area have any ideas, suggestions, comments, anything that could help me???? I would really like to switch to a new substrate soon so please let me know if you have any ideas on good cheapish substrates that hold moisture well. Thanks in advance

Registered User Drumsinthenight.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Paper is my first choice, I also use double ground cypress mulch.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Substrate help in Oregon USA please

If need be, you can check out this website. They sell everything from brown kraft paper, white wrapping paper, to unprinted news paper, both in rolls and sheets.

http://www.papermart.com/Product%20P...?GroupID=18937
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

How about newspaper with some plain white paper thrown on top? Buy a big pack of cheap printer paper.
    I also read somewher that you could put your snakes in a paper bag to eat and have it in there tank so they can get out after.
    Or paper towel? Someone also spoke of some flannel material, then you can wash it easy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Brawny paper towels, the quicker picker upper
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

I don't want to use paper or paper towels, I don't like the look and feel it would be hard to keep the humidity up thanks anyway

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

I live 60 miles north of you and have zero problems with humidity, but then i use tubs.
    Aspen works, cypress is expensive, paper towels just plain work, unless you use tanks...
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I also use coco products personally I place a 'feeding mat' down a day before feeding I put a sheet of thin plastic over the substrate (stiff plastic it is sold a prep board at the dollar store here) and feed on that. I have had an impacted snake after she ate cyprus so I'll not go back to wood. Paper works but typically it works when the ventilation is greatly restricted so the animals own respiration amps up the humidity, personally I feel like it simply isn't enough air movement at that point. That leaves raising the snake room to 60% which is a pain.

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hey, I'd recommend cypress substrate. It looks good and is great at retaining moistly without growing mold.
    Here is a place that ships cypress nationwide:http://www.serpenturf.com/
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I assume they have walmart, home depot and lowes in oregon? If so finding cyrpress mulch should not be a problem.
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast