Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,402

0 members and 3,402 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

BIG shame on me.

I brought my girl out last night to watch tv with me, well, shame on me for falling asleep while holding her. I'm so angry at myself and honestly don't know what to do. I've torn the living room apart, mainly both sofas and moved the fridge out, and can't seem to find her. I live in a duplex, and alone currently, my roomates are out of town, so all the main floor doors are closed. I'm about to loose my mind, and don't know what to do. I'm goin to bed at this point without finding her, sadly (3am).

I just don't know where else to look. She's about 700g, I've looked in both sofas extensively, pulled the fridge out.... What do I do!?!

I'm so depressed right now, and she's my only baby.
    0.1 Spider

Thanks
    Just keep looking, don't count out any small spaces. They usually curl up in the first hiding spot they can find and don't move from there! Stay close to where you were, search high and low and in spaces you might think are too tight for her to fit!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to purplemuffin For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (04-02-2011)

Thanks
    That's exactly what I thought. I've ripped apart the sofa I was on, and the one directly behind me, and she isn't there. I'm so suprised considering there's plenty of places for her to hide, and it's not far from where I was.
    0.1 Spider

Thanks

Re: BIG shame on me.

Quote Originally Posted by flatsix02 View Post
    That's exactly what I thought. I've ripped apart the sofa I was on, and the one directly behind me, and she isn't there. I'm so suprised considering there's plenty of places for her to hide, and it's not far from where I was.
    She may find someplace warm (think of anything that radiates heat especially if this goes on for another night or two). Consider putting flour down across the doorways and sections at night so you can see if she moves from one area to another.

There are numerous other tips which I can't remember but if you search online you can find them, or people here will mention them. You say the doors are closed but are you sure she can't squeeze under them? I would want to make she can't wander further away at night. If she hasn't eaten in a few days I know some keepers have various prey tricks they use (dead prey in a box with a small hole etc...) but not sure how well those work for finicky secretive BPs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    0.0.1 Ball Python, 4.2 Canines, 1.0 Feline, 2.0 Pet Rats

Registered User PassionsPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Do you have a washer and dryer? Check warm dark places! I had a female ball hide in a wall once... because the socket cover was off one of my plugs!

Also.. Try your best not to stress. Stress doesn't help the situation.. its only going to make it more frantic. I know you lost your baby and you want nothing more than to find it, but you can't change what's already happened. So, focus on warm dark places and search till you can't search anymore. And when you least expect it, you'll find her.

From bad comes good though, and the good thing is that you've learned a lesson. I hate that you had to learn it like this, and I wish you nothing but the best. I hope you find your girl and I hope you find her soon.

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    It happens to the best of us. When I got my first BP I also fell asleep with my BP curled up in the hood of my hoodie. When I woke he was gone. I ended up finding him in the kitchen between the blinds and the window.

Look in warm, dark places. BP's tend to look for warm places to hang out (usually also dark, or where they don't feel exposed).

Good luck finding her!
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

My male normal got loose a few months ago due to my stupidity of not latching the lid appropriately on his tank. He got loose at night in my bedroom while I was asleep. Luckily he couldn't fit under my door and I always keep the door shut when I go to sleep. I found him in my bathroom that is in my bedroom. He was hiding in base board heater all curled up. I was very fortunate that he did sustain any injuries. Most of the time these snakes can be found very close to their enclosures. Please don't beat yourself up, it happens to the best of us. Do not give up searching, you will find your snake. Good Luck my friend!

Thanks
    take your heatpad n her hide,put it near where u think she gone,wait for a few hours n try check the hide.bp sometime go to hot spot,so this trick sometime work,just try it 1st n see the result......
    PLEASE CLICK HERE

BPnet Veteran HighVoltageRoyals's Avatar
    Thanks
    Don't rule out ANYWHERE. My girl got out once and I found her about 2 weeks later hanging out in a drawer in my computer desk. It was absolute hell trying to get her out of there! She would puff up her body every time I opened it to try and get her out to the point were I couldn't even get her out!

Just don't give up!
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." -Picasso

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Don't discount the rooms behind the closed doors. Most interior doors have a gap under them. It may not seem like much of a gap if there's carpet there, but carpet squishes and ball pythons can squeeze themselves under some amazingly tight spaces.

A "trick" that might help. In the early morning and/or evening hours, spread a bunch of plastic grocery bags all over the place, especially along the walls, behind furniture, etc....then find a nice quiet activity that you can do, like reading a book or playing a game with the sound muted. Your mind can drift, but your ears will stay alert for the slight rustle of plastic.

Don't forget to look UP, too. They can and will climb. My first ball python escaped twice. The first time I discovered the escape in the morning, so she'd been out perhaps all night. Around the corner from her enclosure was the kitchen...I was looking through there and in the pantry, a bunch of cans and junk had been knocked off the shelves and were all over the floor. I don't know HOW she got up on those shelves, but she did. Eventually I found her around another corner hiding behind a box at the back of a storage closet....both had closed doors. Her second escape had similar timing...found out in the morning...and couldn't find her anywhere that time. Later that day I was sitting at the computer, actually typing out my "I can't find my snake" post....and I heard rustling and bumping around in the room nearby...found her slithering along the wall behind some pictures that hadn't been hung up yet.

Don't give up!!!
    -- Judy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

HypoPita (04-02-2011)

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast