Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,998

0 members and 2,998 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

General BP Fasting Question

I have a few BPs that have been in a winter fast for a few months now. (The females range from about 800 - 1400 g and the males up to 1900 g - no significant weight loss). When should I expect them to come out of their fast? Is it about this time of year generally? or are they all totally different? I've been offering every couple of weeks but no interest yet.

Thanks!
    -------------------------------------------
    Jim

1.0 Banana Black Pastel (Nolan)

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    If the mature males and females are in the same room as each other it very well could be a breeding fast. My breeder males typically stop eating from November until May/June each year. My breeder females are about the same but they usually take a meal here and there during the breeding season.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    I'd cringe if my females stopped eating that early in the season, they NEED to put weight on to successfully drop good pearly white eggs.
    Most of my females will eat right up to about a month before they ovulate.

Some males will eat year around and could care less if it's breeding season and others shut off their food drive for the breeding season.
    My clown, black pastel and yellowbelly males never stopped eating this year but the lesser stopped in December is now pulled from breeding due to weight loss.
    If I want a male to return to eating after breeding I put him in another part of the house, give him a hide(something I normally don't offer my snakes in tubs) and give him time to settle in and then offer food a week or so after removing him from the snake room.
    Jerry Robertson

4. The Following User Says Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

Adam Chandler (04-01-2011)

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: General BP Fasting Question

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    If I want a male to return to eating after breeding I put him in another part of the house, give him a hide(something I normally don't offer my snakes in tubs) and give him time to settle in and then offer food a week or so after removing him from the snake room.
    I forgot to mention this, towards the end of breeding season I've had luck getting males to eat by moving them to a different room.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks

Re: General BP Fasting Question

Thanks for the insight. My snakes are all on the same rack (2 or 3 to a shelf) but none of them have started breeding yet. I was hoping to start this season but I couldn't get the females up to a good weight before the "winter fast" started. Will the fast likely end naturally for these BPs if I keep offering or will I likely have to separate the males from the females to get them eating again? How far apart do the males need to be from the females before they no longer "sense" each other's presence?
    -------------------------------------------
    Jim

1.0 Banana Black Pastel (Nolan)