Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,398

4 members and 3,394 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Private parts

Thanks

Private parts

Today I took lyoto out for a bit cause he seemed hyper and i wanted to let him have some free roaming time but when i picked him up he wrapped his tail around my wrist and i felt something that was like scales so i quickly checked out what it was and noticed both his private parts were sticking out :/

Is this a bad sign for something or what? because from what i know about ball pythons they dont just stick it out whenever for no reason :S

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Are you sure it wasn't just his spurs ?

Some of my bigger snakes have HUGE spurs, like a cats claws almost, and they can feel a little weird when they touch your skin.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks

Re: Private parts

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't just his spurs ?

Some of my bigger snakes have HUGE spurs, like a cats claws almost, and they can feel a little weird when they touch your skin.

Gale
    maybe but he's only about 7-8 months old now so he isn't all that big and these were very noticeable, ill take some pics in a bit and post em if its ok to post snake private parts

Thanks
    I don't think it was his actual hemipenes. It take alot to get those out. But I have had a male that pooped all over me and his hemipenes came out. Be happy you didn't get shart on if that was The case.  I wasnt so lucky the spurs are like cat claws almost. I have a few that have enormous ones. If it was the hemipenes it probably won't happen again unless he's really really straining.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    I don't think it was his actual hemipenes. It take alot to get those out. But I have had a male that pooped all over me and his hemipenes came out. Be happy you didn't get shart on if that was The case.  I wasnt so lucky the spurs are like cat claws almost. I have a few that have enormous ones. If it was the hemipenes it probably won't happen again unless he's really really straining.
    ahahaha yea when i first noticed them i was hoping he wasnt getting ready to pee or poop all over me but in the end he didnt and it sounds kinda weird but i was wondering why not? aha

hopefully it is just his spurs cause i dont want him to have any problems

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

breeding males will drag their hemipenes around to put their scent out, if they were big and pinkish then they were hemipenes, if they were small and cat clawish..they were spurs. Either way..nothing to worry about.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Spurs are always on the outside on either side of the vent, they don't disappear (that I know of?) and from what it sounds like, they are just his spurs.

Here's a pic I found, they can look like this, my bp is only 250 grams so his are much smaller are lighter, but it's the general idea.
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 03-31-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

lyoto (03-31-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    Spurs are always on the outside on either side of the vent, they don't disappear (that I know of?) and from what it sounds like, they are just his spurs.

Here's a pic I found, they can look like this, my bp is only 250 grams so his are much smaller are lighter, but it's the general idea.
    thank you that is exactly what they were aha whats the point of these things anyways?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Like all pythons and boas, ball pythons have anal spurs. These single claws appearing on either side of the vent are the vestigial remains of the hind legs snakes lost during their evolution from lizard to snake millions of years ago. ~from http://www.anapsid.org/ball.html
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (03-31-2011),lyoto (03-31-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    Like all pythons and boas, ball pythons have anal spurs. These single claws appearing on either side of the vent are the vestigial remains of the hind legs snakes lost during their evolution from lizard to snake millions of years ago. ~from http://www.anapsid.org/ball.html
    0_0 Ok they're a lot more interesting than i thought they were gonna be that's really cool i would have never thought that's what they are, thanks again