Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,137

4 members and 1,133 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,121
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Is my Bp sick????????

I am slightly concerned about what I just saw one of my Bps do. She is around 350g and in shed for me for the first time. I have had her about a month and she has been eating F/T mice every five days since the day after I got her. She has had plenty of BMs and urine. Since today was feed day I decided to try and feed her even though she is in blue eye shed stage. She was sitting in her tub funny - with her head pointed straight up at the sky. I touched her with the warmed mouse to get her attention. She struck at the mouse but did not take it. Then she started acting really weird. She opened her mouth a few times - not quite a yawn. Then she drooled a little. Then she yawned. I pushed her tub back in to think about things. About 15 later I tried again. She was looking straight up again. She saw the mouse right away but did not strike. She did open her mouth a little bit at it though. Her face looks a little funny but I can not tell if it is because she is way discolored and way far back in the tub. What do you guys think about the mouth/drool thing!!!!???? Maybe it is just her shed response, she has never shed for me before but my other snakes have never drooled.
    Nothing

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Is my Bp sick????????

Unless she just took a drink, there's a good chance she's sick. Keep a close eye on her and take her to a QUUUUAAAALLLLLIIIIFFFFIIIIEEDDDD Vet if she's sick.

Thanks
    Should I take her out and look her over? Should I leave her alone until she sheds? Should I move her out of the rack into the qt rack or are those snakes already at risk so I should not expose her to the unexposed animals in qt??? I just read online that a stressful moment may cause drooling????? I am probibly flipping out for nothing. It was not even enough saliva to form a droplet large enough to fall from her mouth, just a little wet spot on the outside of her mouth. She drank it back up after.
    Nothing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    Unless she just took a drink, there's a good chance she's sick. Keep a close eye on her and take her to a QUUUUAAAALLLLLIIIIFFFFIIIIEEDDDD Vet if she's sick.
    x2

Possible RI symptoms? I wouldn't risk it, I'd be calling a vet who specializes in herps.. or better yet, who specializes in BPs (Hard to find, but I've had luck)
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks
    I'd be more worried about the staring straight up thing. I don't like that. This could be a sign of an RI or more serious things. Qt immediatly and take to a vet. What are the temps? You have her in a rack correct? I'd take her to a VET asap. Ive never seen a snake in shed drool. As well as any that aren't. A Stressful moment doesn't cause drooling either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

hoax (03-30-2011)

Thanks

Yeah she is sick. I pulled out her bin and watched her for a while. She seems to be having a hard time. I think she has RI. From where I do not know but I have a vet apt tomorrow at 4. It was the earliest they had . Help me decide what to do with her until then. Yes she is in a rack with 7 other bp. She is on the bottom of 4 shelves next to one other bin. I have a 2 compartment quarantine unit in another room BUT it has 1 other BP in it already who I do not think is sick. I really do not want to infect this animal. Aside from blue eyes, she looked fine yesterday. I took her bin out to check the progression of her shed. Her rack has heat tape set at 93 F and ambient is 81 or more always (hot in Florida). Humidity is also very high 60+% always. She is in a 12q tub with a water bowl. I keep my snakes on carpet and change out them out as they are soiled. She ate a F/T mouse on Friday. Anything else???????
    Nothing

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Racks can vary in temp from the bottom to the top - I would double check what the temps actually are inside her tub.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    I have moved her into a makeshift qt. Found some old heat rope and ripped a dimmer switch out of my wall. I used her tub only with the lid on and drilled a bunch of holes in the top. I wired the lid so she can not escape. I borrowed the probe thermometer from my setup qt since it seems to be pretty regular the past week as I have not touched the dimmer. The furthest I could get her away was one room but I guess it is better than in the same rack. I am regulating the temps now. I feel so bad for her. She is bubbling out the mouth and keeps opening her mouth yawn like. How could she go from okay yesterday to this??????

Dr Del

Temps are accurate from her tub. The snake right beside her is fine and took down a good size F/T rat today. I do not understand this at all.

All my snakes have always been healthy. What else can I do until my apt at 4 tomorrow????? I checked her records and she weighed 287g on the 15th so I was off on her weight a bit. She is a Dec hatch. I have never been to this vet before, any forewarning?
    Nothing

Thanks
    You said you have another in qt? Any chances you could have transferred something on your hands/ clothing? Are you positive noone else is sick? Have you recently touched any strange snakes and them handled your collection?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    You said you have another in qt? Any chances you could have transferred something on your hands/ clothing? Are you positive noone else is sick? Have you recently touched any strange snakes and them handled your collection?
    I don't even handle them on the same day. The snake it qt looks to be in good health and ate a F/T mouse today. She is only there because she is new, I just got her a week ago. She is on the other side of my house. All my other snakes ate today also and seem to be fine. I bumped the heat tape temps up to 94.5 F today as a precaution. I did have them set at 93 F. I have not touched any other snakes in the past week. No one touches my snakes except me (and my 3 year old. I can not be positive but no one else looks sick.
    Nothing

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast