Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,174

0 members and 2,174 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Help with Albon Dosing

I am used to using Panacur with constrictors, however, I have used Albon to rid of parasites. I do not have any Panacur, however, I have some Albon coming in on Thursday.

I do not know the dosage ratio for Albon. I do know it for Panacur (that's a different active ingredient, by the way). So that doesn't help me any.

Does anyone on this board know the correct dosage/weight ratio for Albon (Sulfadimethoxine)??

I have tried contacting veterinarians, but only get the words, "We would need to see the animal first hand as an examination to tell you". Which is retarded, cause then I'd have to pay them fifty dollars a piece for two animals for them to tell me, "Yes, he has parasites".
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reptil...85550708133494
    ---------------
    Please click the link above to support our snake and reptile rescue resource!

Thanks

Re: Help with Albon Dosing

Quote Originally Posted by zmd0827 View Post
    I am used to using Panacur with constrictors, however, I have used Albon to rid of parasites. I do not have any Panacur, however, I have some Albon coming in on Thursday.

I do not know the dosage ratio for Albon. I do know it for Panacur (that's a different active ingredient, by the way). So that doesn't help me any.

Does anyone on this board know the correct dosage/weight ratio for Albon (Sulfadimethoxine)??

I have tried contacting veterinarians, but only get the words, "We would need to see the animal first hand as an examination to tell you". Which is retarded, cause then I'd have to pay them fifty dollars a piece for two animals for them to tell me, "Yes, he has parasites".
    If Albon is a prescription drug and you did not receive this from a vet, this thread will probably be deleted. They have a by-law that stated that anything that is illegal cannot be discussed or perpetuated.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Thanks
    Albon does not require a prescription. No, I did not receive it from a vet. However, Panacur (fenbendazole) is. Albon is an entirely different chemical: sulfadimethoxine.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reptil...85550708133494
    ---------------
    Please click the link above to support our snake and reptile rescue resource!

Thanks
    Sulfadimethoxine (Albon) 25-50/mg kg 3 days on/3 days off/3 days on and then a fecal exam should again be performed

Source http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html

If I am not mistaken this is a prescription drug.

Also Vet Journel found here recommends, 90 first day 45 for 14 days after.

Considering the major differences I would seriously recommend a vet visit. Bite the bullet and pay the money. Don't self dose and accidentally injury or kill your animals.

Registered User Drumsinthenight.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I dose Albon suspension 5% at 0.05 ml per 100 grams of body weight

Thanks
    I asked my herp teacher. He agreed with Drumsinthenight on the dosage. But he also said to go double check with a vet if you can. He has a phd in herpetology and studies snakes in this region. He said he has had adverse reactions with that dosage on smaller animals. Particularly ones under 100 grams. And said that around 500 grams the dosage will sometimes need to go as high as a 8 percent solution depending on size and breed.

Good luck with the parasites. Hopefully itll all work out and youll have a happy herp. If you give me your snakes breed and exact weight I can ask him and see if he has a different dose to recommend. But I think Drum nailed it.