Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

1 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question HELP Tubs 6 3/8 height

So we are waiting on our rack to come in from animal plastics and as I was cleaning out the basement I remembered the weird bookcase that came with the house. Now that we are getting into balls, it occurred to me that it might not be a book case at all but an old rack, since the selves are too close together to use for much of anything. In any case It might work as a rack. So now I am looking to see if there are any tubs that can fit the dimensions of it. Please check it out and see if you can point me in the right direction.

Also I have already checked out several websites and have found some that are close but off just a little. How bad would it be to have a tub stick out 3/4 inch past the self? Any suggestions. If I can make this work it could hold approximately 20 tubs, more if juvenile tubs fit.

each self has the following dimensions
    Height 6 3/8 inches
    Depth 13 inches
    Width 28 1/2 inches
    Last edited by MoshBalls; 03-29-2011 at 04:30 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    If I'm understanding your dimensions correctly, the edge of the shelf to the back of it is 13 inches, right? If so, that'd leave you with 12 1/4 inches of tub still resting on the shelf even with the 3/4 inch hanging past. So long as your tubs were snug in the opening, I wouldn't worry too much about that little bit hanging over, as I can't imagine a snake would have sufficient body-weight to tip the tub out with that little of an amount hanging over.

You could always add some weight to that end of the tub and then put it on the shelf to make sure it wouldn't tip if off. Not to get WAAAAAAAAAY technical on you, but you're basically looking at a lever and fulcrum. The tub is the "lever", and the edge of the shelf would be the "fulcrum", or pivot point so to speak, like a teeter totter. With the amount of tub you'd have sitting on the shelf, with that minimal amount of overhang (3/4 inch), your tipping point would be nearly impossible to achieve without actively trying to tip the tub off and then with the other shelves above the tubs, that would make it even harder for the tub to be dislodged. Hope that helps and makes sense, lol! Good luck!
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Thanks

Re: HELP Tubs 6 3/8 height

Quote Originally Posted by youbeyouibei View Post
    If I'm understanding your dimensions correctly, the edge of the shelf to the back of it is 13 inches, right? If so, that'd leave you with 12 1/4 inches of tub still resting on the shelf even with the 3/4 inch hanging past. So long as your tubs were snug in the opening, I wouldn't worry too much about that little bit hanging over, as I can't imagine a snake would have sufficient body-weight to tip the tub out with that little of an amount hanging over.

You could always add some weight to that end of the tub and then put it on the shelf to make sure it wouldn't tip if off. Not to get WAAAAAAAAAY technical on you, but you're basically looking at a lever and fulcrum. The tub is the "lever", and the edge of the shelf would be the "fulcrum", or pivot point so to speak, like a teeter totter. With the amount of tub you'd have sitting on the shelf, with that minimal amount of overhang (3/4 inch), your tipping point would be nearly impossible to achieve without actively trying to tip the tub off and then with the other shelves above the tubs, that would make it even harder for the tub to be dislodged. Hope that helps and makes sense, lol! Good luck!
    That is what I was thinking too, but hubby wanted me to ask around. Also there was a tub I was looking at that was 13 3/4 and my measurement was from the inside so 13 inches is a good size.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

If your tubs are sticking out 3/4 inch, that is more than enough room for the snake to get their nose/head through, then it won't take much for them to work the tub out a little more and then they will be on the run...

*Edit* Unless you are planning on using lids on the tubs.
    Last edited by Vypyrz; 03-29-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (03-29-2011)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Lol! Never hurts to get a second opinion...you should be just fine with that rack setup and those tubs, so long as they're big enough for the size of snakes you currently have.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    DOH! Good point, Vypyrz! I assumed lids would be used and completely spaced that...dang it! Thanks for catching that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vypyrz View Post
    if your tubs are sticking out 3/4 inch, that is more than enough room for the snake to get their nose/head through, then it won't take much for them to work the tub out a little more and then they will be on the run...

*edit* unless you are planning on using lids on the tubs.
    x2
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks
    Looks like I found a couple of winners! Sterilite RE Organize XL (for smaller) 14in x 11x 6 1/4 Without the lid. And Sterlite 25 QT (for larger) 24 3/8 x 15 1/8 x 6 1/8 with the lid but without the locks.

I ended up just going to Target and Wal-mart and buying a total of four different tubs to take home and try out. The large was from Wal-mart and the small from Target. It was impossible to go buy dimensions only because they include the lid and the size of the lid makes a huge difference.

Thanks

Sounds interesting that your house came with a rack! If possible, I would really like to see a picture of it. Are you going to be able to add flexwatt to it?
    George

My Collection:

1.1 Normal Python Regius (Cleveland & Betty White)
    1.0 Spider Python Regius (Peter Parker)
    1.1 Canis Lupus Familiaris -- Pug (Guster & Guinness)