Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

3 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    I have a few thousand rats on pine right now. They're doing a lot better than the ones in the freezer LOL. Personally, if they breed well, and live at least 64 weeks, I don't care what happens to their liver. I use kiln dried pine and I have only lost one adult rat in the last as long as I can remember and she died in child birth. I did find a rat pup dead the other day with a bunch of shavings in his mouth, but I'm betting that he was just retarded and tried to eat a bunch of bedding. It happens sometimes.

For the record, I have had ZERO problems with pine shavings. I use kiln dried pine shavings and they are cheap, plentiful, and have worked for me 100% of the time.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Pine Bedding Bad for Rats?

Quote Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
    Pine has been shown to cause RI in rodents (and other animals) due to the release of aromatic carbon compounds (phenols and such).

Sure kiln dried pine may reduce the amount of phenols released by the bedding, so pine CAN be used without the occurance of RIs but why risk it?
    From MY experience I have NEVER had any rats or mice with RI.

How long do I keep my animals (since apparently some people think it is relevant) well it depends

Female mice are retired after 5 litters, males are retired and replaced every 6 months.

Female rats are retired when the production drops below 5 babies, males are retired and replaced every 8 months.

Retirement has nothing to do with health issue it has to do with production because I am breeding for food those are not pets so once they no longer produce they are retired.

So again from MY experience never had any issue with either pine pellets or shaving but than again I only produce a few thousands rats a year which is not very much, if I did have issue I would consider alternative bedding but I don't have any issue and my colony is VERY healthy.

Now my question is how many rats have you raised on pine shaving and out of those how many have you had develop RI, and are you positive every single time it was due to the bedding.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    I've yet to have a rat get sick on pine and I certainly would not place my pet rat stock on kiln dried pine if I thought it would harm them.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Not disagreeing about kiln dried pine here. . . BUT. . .

i am curious how long mice actually stay in your possession, alive?
    My oldest male breeder (purchased him back in the fall of 08 along with his brother) just passed about 2 weeks ago (old age). And I still have one of my original females I started my colony with. Both spent their entire lives on kiln dried pine. Both are/were well over 2 years old. But to answer your question, mice do not stay in my possession long dead or alive, unless you count the days the field mice sit in my garbage can after the trap snaps their necks. I only feed rats
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

Thanks
    Ok so the stuff I have is Premier Pet kiln dried softwood pine bedding. This is ok no?
    Ball Python-Bella
    California Kingsnake-Bob
    Cornsnake-Corny

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bellabob View Post
    Ok so the stuff I have is Premier Pet kiln dried softwood pine bedding. This is ok no?
    In my own personal experience....yes.

No references needed, just 20+ years of experience...
    Last edited by jasbus; 03-30-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PghBall View Post
    My oldest male breeder (purchased him back in the fall of 08 along with his brother) just passed about 2 weeks ago (old age). And I still have one of my original females I started my colony with. Both spent their entire lives on kiln dried pine. Both are/were well over 2 years old. But to answer your question, mice do not stay in my possession long dead or alive, unless you count the days the field mice sit in my garbage can after the trap snaps their necks. I only feed rats
    Okay. My only point being, I wish there was some comprehensive evidence on long term kiln dried dust free pine use and rodents. And there really isn't

I know people use the pellets, and consider that to be 100% safe, so I can only imagine that if the pellets are safe (being dried, baked, and dust free) then the treated shavings (dried, baked, dust free) would also be safe. . .

I feel like the negatives are not strong enough to rule out pine at the moment, for me. I'm about to run out of aspen, and if the feed store doesn't get the shipment of specialty aspen I'm hoping they will, then I'm going to get the kiln dried dust free horse pine, and see if there are any changes in my mousery. As of now, it has been MONTHS since my last URI in any of the rodents, and it was caused by cedar I sprinkled in to kill off mites.

So starting fresh, I hope to try pine, and see if I notice any differences in the way my mice live, and die.

Thanks
    Honestly, I think the experience of all the people here outweigh the supposed "scientific studies". We have people here who have kept rats and mice on pine for decades. These studies were probably conducted over the course of weeks, if that long.

I have always used pine. I have never had an issue with it.

I think there is plenty of sufficient research done to say that kiln dried pine is safe. The fact that people keep rodents on this bedding for decades and the fact that people can keep their rodents on it until they die of old age is sufficient. Rats don't live very long, what, around 2-3 years. Thus, if the rodents can live in pine for 2-3 years without issues, pine is safe.

I'm sure, on this forum, there is more combined knowledge on the subject than actual "scientific" studies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to reptilegirl07 For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (03-30-2011)

Thanks
    Reptilegirl whereas i agree with some of your points, your dismissal of scientific evidence is disturbing.

Untreated pine does have harmful side effects, and that was what the tests were based on. The evidence supporting pine, is all for treated pine, not un-treated.
    Un-treated pine does in fact cause health issues in small mammals (comparable [since it's the same thing in a lower dose] to the effects of cedar on small mammals), which is why it is not used in laboratories (mainly the enzyme changes in the liver, which can effect the way an animal metabolizes medications, and reacts to testing).

Last edited by Rhasputin; 03-30-2011 at 06:53 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

PsychD_Student (03-31-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasbus View Post
    In my own personal experience....yes.

No references needed, just 20+ years of experience...
    If the hypotheses about kiln dried pine being safe are true (I see very little, if any reason to avoid kiln dried dust free pine), then yes.

Please do keep an eye on your animals, and report back on how they are doing. The more information we can get from 'tests' the better we can understand this bedding feud!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast