Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

5 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

humidity problem

I have a humidity problem with my ball python set up it fluctuates between 40 and 80%, but stays around 40 most of the time. I have a 20 gallon glass terrarium. I first bought a uth for a 10-20 gallon tank, but it wont heat it sufficiently. SO I got a heat light as well now my temp is perfect. I also cover the top screen with a towel to try to keep the humidity in. I mist the tank a couple times a day. This only helps for a little bit. I also have aspen bedding to help with the humidity. Any suggestions on how to keep the humidity up. Oh yeah I also have a large water bowl filled with water.

Thanks

Re: humidity problem

Your best bet with that setup may be creating a humidity box. It's basically a hide with moist substrate in it. Sphagnum moss, cypress mulch, paper towels, etc. Your BP will go chill in there when it needs a bit of moisture.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to spitzu For This Useful Post:

Daniel Tuttle (03-27-2011)

Thanks

can the humidity box be her hide on the cool side of the tank or should it be seperate?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country", JFK

0.1 2010 Normal (Pandora)
    1.0 2011 Pastel (Apollo)
    0.1 2010 Lesser Platinum 100% albino het (Athena)
    1.0 2011 Cinnamon (hades)
    1.0 2010 100% Albino Het (Ares)
    1.0 2011 Mojave (Perseus)
    OTHERS
    1.0 American bulldog/pit bull (Chance)
    1.0 Long hair chihuahua (Bandit)
    1.0 Boston Terrier (Tank)
    0.1 Tabby Cat (Bella)

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    To help keep your humidity at proper level I first would suggest getting rid of the lamp. With a lamp you are going to have a real hard time with humidity.
    You said you are having problems keeping your temps proper without out the lamp but are you taking surface temps or ambient temps? BP's do not bask so all they need a 88-92 degree surface (in the enclosure, on top of the heating pad) to provide them belly heat. In order to take a surface temperature you would need a thermometer with a probe (although these can be pretty inaccurate) or a better alternative is a IR thermometer which is designed for taking surface temps. Something like ( www.tempgun.com)

Getting rid of the lamp is really your best bet to help control your humidity. Some other things you can do is cover about half of the top screen with plastic instead of a towel to help keep in some of the humidity.
    Also cypress substrate is the best at retaining moisture while suppressing mold and fungus.
    Something like: www.serpenturf.com/
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam Chandler For This Useful Post:

Daniel Tuttle (03-27-2011),Skittles1101 (03-27-2011)

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Tuttle View Post
    can the humidity box be her hide on the cool side of the tank or should it be seperate?
    If you decided to covert a hide into a humidity hide I would recommend converting both. You want to have 2 identical hides in your enclosure, 1 on the warm side and 1 on the cool side. Otherwise you risk your BP choosing security over thermoregulation.

BP's are VERY security minded animals. If you have 2 different hides in their enclosure they will pick which ever one they feel more secure in and stay in it, even if the temperature becomes uncomfortable for them, which is something you want to try to avoid.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Chandler For This Useful Post:

Daniel Tuttle (03-27-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent73 View Post
    To help keep your humidity at proper level I first would suggest getting rid of the lamp. With a lamp you are going to have a real hard time with humidity.
    You said you are having problems keeping your temps proper without out the lamp but are you taking surface temps or ambient temps? BP's do not bask so all they need a 88-92 degree surface (in the enclosure, on top of the heating pad) to provide them belly heat. In order to take a surface temperature you would need a thermometer with a probe (although these can be pretty inaccurate) or a better alternative is a IR thermometer which is designed for taking surface temps. Something like ( www.tempgun.com)

I am taking surface temps with a digital with a probe. With just the UTH the warm side is a surface temp of low 70's and the cool side in the low 60's. Now with the heat lamp and the UTH the surface temp is 92 on the warm side and 80-82 on the cool side.

Getting rid of the lamp is really your best bet to help control your humidity. Some other things you can do is cover about half of the top screen with plastic instead of a towel to help keep in some of the humidity.
    Also cypress substrate is the best at retaining moisture while suppressing mold and fungus.
    Something like: www.serpenturf.com/
    "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country", JFK

1.0 2011 Pastel (Apollo)
    OTHERS
    0.1 Tabby Cat (Bella)

Thanks
    Thank you for all of your help! I made 2 humidity boxes and also got the heat lamp off of the cage so it is a fex inches off of it. THis has helped the humidity a lot and so far is stable at 60%!!

1.0 2011 Pastel (Apollo)
    OTHERS
    0.1 Tabby Cat (Bella)