Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

2 members and 3,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BP keeps trying to escape

Is it normal for them to want to get out of their tank a lot? At night when mine wakes up she constantly tries to get out. It may have something to do with the heat I'm not sure, it stays the same temperature all the time so I'm not sure what it could be. Unless she's just curious and really wants to get out

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Well if I had to guess, she might not feel very secure. I'd suggest blacking out the sides and back of the tank (I use black adhesive Con-Tact paper from Home Depot $6.00) and moving that log hide so that the back is against one of the sides.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Re: BP keeps trying to escape

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    Well if I had to guess, she might not feel very secure. I'd suggest blacking out the sides and back of the tank (I use black adhesive Con-Tact paper from Home Depot $6.00) and moving that log hide so that the back is against one of the sides.
    I agree. The tank looks really open for a ball. Try some more enclosed hides. One on the hot side and one on the cool side. Also, make sure you have one end that is on the warmer end of the temp. gradient and one side that is on the cooler end of the tem. gradient. I keep my hot side around 90-93 (basking spot) and cool end 75-80.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It is normal for them to try to get out. They will do that. Make sure your lid is secure so that he can't actually get out.
    Last edited by vangarret2000; 03-26-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    Always be Batman

Thanks
    I agree that you should black out the sides of the tank. One of my BPs is still in a tank because I want it to gain more weight before moving it to a tub (since moves can be stressful and cause fasting), so the tank it is in is blacked out on three sides and the top, and has no wide open spaces. This seems to be perfect for my BP, mostly hides and doesn't "search" for a way out anymore.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks
    she look stress,like my bp when i was buy her.it normal,maybe she still new with the environment or like they said,cover the side of the tank.sometime it because your husbandry,make sure it ok for you bp.

this is what i do,i dont know what other do,when i see my snake do like that,i will try to handling it n let her explore outside the tank for about 5 to 10 minutes until she go back near the tank.look like she want to climb back into his hide.then i will put she back into her tank.i do this for a bout a week now n she seem to like it n know when i will bring her out.she like 'take me again to explore this world"
    PLEASE CLICK HERE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by van_garret2000 View Post
    It is normal for them to try to get out. They will do that. Make sure your lid is secure so that he can't actually get out.
    I have to agree. BPs are nocturnal, so night time is when they are going to try to escape. They also happen to be escape artists so you really need to make sure the lid is secure.

Thanks
    You need to check your temps and the tank is too bare for a ball python. You need two hides(one on cool side, one on warm side) and they need to be just big enough for the snake to fit in and needs to have only one small opening so it will feel secure. You really need to replace the half log as they are not very good for a ball! New snakes will do this for a few weeks but if it goes longer then it is a security issue! Follow everything on this care sheet and you will have one happy ball python: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

Thanks

Thanks everyone. It's been about a week since I've checked this post. She's been doing fine, we fed her day before yesterday so she's been sleeping that off. I have noticed when she's really active trying to climb to the top of the tank we've taken her out and played with her for a bit and put her back and she's fine after that. But still when I wake up in the middle of the night I see her still at it, I keep it completely dark where she is other than a small plug in night light. I'm going to try the suggestions, look into getting another hide and black out the sides to see how she reacts and go from there

(Plus the pictures I have on here are a few months old, we've changed things since then so it is a little different)
    Last edited by Candice21; 03-29-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Candice21 View Post
    Thanks everyone. It's been about a week since I've checked this post. She's been doing fine, we fed her day before yesterday so she's been sleeping that off. I have noticed when she's really active trying to climb to the top of the tank we've taken her out and played with her for a bit and put her back and she's fine after that. But still when I wake up in the middle of the night I see her still at it, I keep it completely dark where she is other than a small plug in night light. I'm going to try the suggestions, look into getting another hide and black out the sides to see how she reacts and go from there

(Plus the pictures I have on here are a few months old, we've changed things since then so it is a little different)
    She might be hungry. Mine becomes quite the escape artist when she's ready to feed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast