Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,201

0 members and 3,201 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

How to prevent mites/get rid of mites?

Ok, I'll start by saying that I don't think that I have been this mad in a long time. I have kept ball pythons for the last 8 years and have never had mights or any sickness of any kind in that period of time. I just bought 2 ball pythons a couple of months ago from 2 different breeders. I kept them isolated in the basement for a month and my others are upstairs in their room. I moved them into the room with the rest of them a couple weeks ago. I have checked them dozens of times before and since and everything was fine. But last night on one of them I found 4 mites. So I took him out and back to the basement, soaked him, and cleaned his tub. I am currently cleaning tubs and have found no sign of mites on any of the others. He had no mites for 2 months and then he just shed and now has mites, how is this possible? And what is the best mite killer/preventative to use that I can also use with my breeding females that I believe to be getting ready to ovulate? I want to put something to prevent mites in my other tubs just incase they happened to cross contaminate my rack. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and thanks.

Thanks

Re: How to prevent mites/get rid of mites?

Provent-a-Mite. I brought mites home from a local pet store and this stuff works like magic. I sprayed down every single tub and after 2-3 days I didn't see any more mites. Then, 17 days later I saw one tiny little baby mite (as expected) and I sprayed them all down again.

Just make sure you follow the directions on the can (don't spray the snake or waterbowl, and make sure it's 100% dry before adding the snake), and reapply in ~2 weeks to kill off the babies that have hatched. At that point the babies should be dead before they're big enough to re-lay anymore eggs. Some people keep reapplying PAM every month just in case.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to spitzu For This Useful Post:

Domepiece (03-25-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spitzu View Post
    Provent-a-Mite. I brought mites home from a local pet store and this stuff works like magic. I sprayed down every single tub and after 2-3 days I didn't see any more mites. Then, 17 days later I saw one tiny little baby mite (as expected) and I sprayed them all down again.

Just make sure you follow the directions on the can (don't spray the snake or waterbowl, and make sure it's 100% dry before adding the snake), and reapply in ~2 weeks to kill off the babies that have hatched. At that point the babies should be dead before they're big enough to re-lay anymore eggs. Some people keep reapplying PAM every month just in case.
    Your awesome, thankyou. I have him soaking again right now and noticed that he now has more under his scales.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Update. Just found 3 more mites in another tub and 1 mite in another tub. Provent a mite is ordered and on the way. Thank God! it cant get here quick enough.

Thanks
    Every snake owner should have a can of PAM sitting around, it just is THE single best way to get rid of mites and other insects.

PAM got rid of my slight case of mites in about 3 days. Just make sure to spray the whole enclosure and follow the directions exactly. I usually wait till you can't see the spray on the container, then put then snake back in. As long as no odor remains and you can't see the liquid spray, it is safe to put your snake back in.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steveboos For This Useful Post:

Domepiece (03-25-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Provent-A-Mite, or PAM, as it is commonly called, is not available at very many pet stores. You can order it online here:

http://www.pro-products.com/
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Domepiece (03-25-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveboos View Post
    Every snake owner should have a can of PAM sitting around, it just is THE single best way to get rid of mites and other insects.

PAM got rid of my slight case of mites in about 3 days. Just make sure to spray the whole enclosure and follow the directions exactly. I usually wait till you can't see the spray on the container, then put then snake back in. As long as no odor remains and you can't see the liquid spray, it is safe to put your snake back in.
    Thanks, I'll be sure to follow the directions exactly. I just read of some unfortunate cases where the people did not.