Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,139

2 members and 3,137 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: uth temp?

Thanks

uth temp?

Ok so everyone says to put the probe between the uth and the tank.. I have a layer of 1/2 to 3/4" thick of aspen underneath his house.. what should the temp be set at? Its set to 94 now which is barely warm to the touch...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Your normal body temp is what 98 or so... it should not feel hot to you it is cooler than your body temp. What is the temp under the hot side hide? Did you read the care sheets?

Thanks

Re: uth temp?

I've read caresheets after caresheets and there all different.. between the glass and the uth is reading 94 now but when I put the probe under the house on top of the subtrate it reads 89 at night and no higher than 92 during the day

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    Your normal body temp is what 98 or so... it should not feel hot to you it is cooler than your body temp. What is the temp under the hot side hide? Did you read the care sheets?
    Your internal body temp is 98.6(hence the reason you measure your temp in your mouth/ear/corn hole)...your surface temp rarely goes over 90(I got bored with an instant read thermometer one day..LOL)

To the OP...get an instant read thermometer or a digital thermometer to read the surface and ambient temps. Don't rely on how it feels to the touch..Double check the caresheets..follow them to the T.

Thanks
    Oh ya I do.. I'm juss wondring how hot I should have the uth..

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.smith7823 View Post
    I've read caresheets after caresheets and there all different.. between the glass and the uth is reading 94 now but when I put the probe under the house on top of the subtrate it reads 89 at night and no higher than 92 during the day
    Those temps are fine...what's the problem?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    The "thermostat" should be set at whatever it takes to get the thermometer to 90-92 degrees directly on the hot spot inside the enclosure.

The temperature between the UTH and the glass is irrelevant, you want to know the hottest temperature that the snake could get to, directly over the UTH inside the tank.
    You do have the uth under the tank I'm presuming?

Having a good thermometer is essential, indoor/outdoor probed thermometers work great in a tank.
    Jerry Robertson

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    thin out the bedding till you get the temp on top you want. You can put the Probe in-between the uth and glass or directly on the UTH. Using tape or hot glue to secure the probe so it dont come off.

Set the thermostat to the temp you want, and let it warm up till you get the temps inside. Glass is the hottest point in the tank the snake can get to so that needs to be your main focus. Once temp is achieved work on bedding thickness to fine tune it.

Thanks
    I use a dimmer switch to control the uth. Now the uth is on one side but the lighting is on the other side. Which the light gives off the basking heat. Is this correct or uncorrect? He's nevr had trouble feeding. U can check my tank out under my gallery. I juss posted a pic of it I took tonight. The uth is under the log house far to the left side

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The idea is to create a warm to cool gradient 90-80 or so your temps are fine. Dimmers work great in a reasonably stable room a room that has variating temps the temps will vary in the enclosure. A thermostat will generate a more stable set of temps. A decent thermometer and humidity guage and double check the range hot to cool and you got it.

Sorry about the care sheets so many seem to buy a snake get it home and then want help with out reading anything I like helping out but find myself not very interested in helping people that have not done any work them selves. You will find tons of variation in caresheets and most other things a lot are hold overs from 30 years ago when they were not well understood. Once the snake settles in I usually will watch the snake and see what it is doing and adjust things according.

A snake that is always on the cool side especially after feeding it is likely the hot side is too warm for its preference. or if it is aways on the hot the cool is too cool. I use 90/80 as a starting point but I have animals at 82/91 and 78/89. They are all thermoregulating and feeding well they are individuals and each is different I tend to adjust things so every animal is comfortable. They will usually spend about 80/20 one hide or another but 95/5 I start to make tweeks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

j.smith7823 (03-25-2011)