Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,145

2 members and 3,143 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

A little CONFUSED

I bought a YB Male about 240 grams and this guy has literally not eaten for me for about 3 months maybe longer ( I know I know this is the way of BPs but here me out).... So ive checked all the temps and humidity readings and the humidity is about 50% ambient temp is about 76 77... Now the question I have is I have attempted to assist feed 3 different times but only before he would not eat on his own and every time I assist he will spit it out. The size of the rat is just a little bit bigger then rat pinky.... (now before you guys ask if i am assist feeding right i also have two other difficult eaters and I assist feed them and no problem so I know I am doing it right. So i guess what do i do guys and girls

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

Re: A little CONFUSED

Your ambient temps are too low and you are also stressing out your bp's by assist feeding them.

Read our caresheets and follow them to the T. The 220 gram Bp must have been feeding pretty well before. If all your Bp's aren't feeding on a consistent basis it isn't that they are picky something is wrong.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emilio For This Useful Post:

dr del (03-24-2011),Shirkan (03-24-2011),Simple Man (03-24-2011),youbeyouibei (03-24-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
    Your ambient temps are too low and you are also stressing out your bp's by assist feeding them.

Read our caresheets and follow them to the T. The 220 gram Bp must have been feeding pretty well before. If all your Bp's aren't feeding on a consistent basis it isn't that they are picky something is wrong.

There are two other snakes that are picky I have 10 in one rack setup which means three are picky eaters the others are fine so im not sure if something is wrong my ambient may be a bit low but my hot spot is right on... Again like i said i have 7 other snakes in this rack with all the same temps and humidity and they are eating just fine....

Thanks
    You may want to offer a different type of prey item. I wont say anything about your husbandry as that is usually the first thing that should be checked, but if you feel the husbandry is up to par it may be that the snake is not attracted to the type of food which is being offered. My albino female refused rats for a good three months but struck the first mouse I offered her within seconds. If this turns out to be the case you can attempt to switch him with scenting or just feed what he prefers.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Just out of curiosity is it the ones on the bottom that aren't eating?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Just out of curiosity is it the ones on the bottom that aren't eating?

dr del
    Dr. Del I thought the same thing and no this guy is 2nd row from top my bottom snakes are the monsters that eat like its there job what I may end up doing is doing belly heat and taking out the back heat tell me what you think about this? The only thing about switching over to belly instead of back is that A) this is my juvie rack B) I know sometimes younger snakes dont know when to get of the belly heat and can sometimes burn there self and C) I will have to drill a few small holes for the cords to come out and plug into my ranco.

I may try to do live but i need to finish my rat rack which is taking forever for me to finish.... So for now its F/T plus i hate live

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What are you offering? If youre only offering frozen..then try live... If you're offering rats only...then try mice. Just keep mixing it up until you find something they like. Also I'd monitor their weights and if they start having unhealthy weight loss then I'd take them to the vet.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Powerspythons View Post
    What are you offering? If youre only offering frozen..then try live... If you're offering rats only...then try mice. Just keep mixing it up until you find something they like. Also I'd monitor their weights and if they start having unhealthy weight loss then I'd take them to the vet.
    yea surprisingly since its been 4 months for the yb he has only lost maybe 30 grams so i dont think its something to worry about quite yet right??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

76-77 are winter breeding temps so that is why some are refusing.

I find finicky eaters do better in warmer ambient temps and smaller tubs/enclosures.

I recently received an adult female and I was told she was already fasting and refusing, after 6 days in my 82 degree ambient quarantine setup she nailed a rat first attempt.

I would also alternate mice to rats (live). Some will only do mice and not rats. At that size they really shouldn't be fasting unless they are cool or insecure/stressed.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Key is keep the picky ones warm and tight, true for any BP but even more so picky ones.

Not sure are big the tubs is but I would transfer him in the smallest tub you have 6 quarts / No hide / Aspen bedding and I would raise those temps and NO handling.
    Deborah Stewart