Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,114

0 members and 3,114 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: Sani-chips?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Sani-chips?

I ordered my first real rack today, from Animal Plastics! 8 shelf "economy plastics" adult rack... So my question is, what kind of substrate should I use? I was going to go with Sani-chips, but I just finished watching the latest SnakeBytes, and they were only using aspen with the colubrids. I assume because of humidity?

Is anybody using Sani-chips with their balls? What issues have you had? And how's your humidity? (I live in Arizona... so if anybody's used Sani-chips successfully in the desert or the low-humidity parts of California, I'm especially interested.)

Thanks

Re: Sani-chips?

Quote Originally Posted by loonunit View Post
    I ordered my first real rack today, from Animal Plastics! 8 shelf "economy plastics" adult rack... So my question is, what kind of substrate should I use? I was going to go with Sani-chips, but I just finished watching the latest SnakeBytes, and they were only using aspen with the colubrids. I assume because of humidity?

Is anybody using Sani-chips with their balls? What issues have you had? And how's your humidity? (I live in Arizona... so if anybody's used Sani-chips successfully in the desert or the low-humidity parts of California, I'm especially interested.)
    one thing i can tell you about racks is no matter what substrate you use your humidity will always be good.i currently use paper towels or newspaper . i personally like it because its easier for me to clean and if i were to get mites i can control the situation faster. good luck

1.0 Albino het Genetic Stripe
    0.1 Albino
    1.1 Lesser
    0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic
    0.1 Pied
    1.0 Pastel het Pied
    0.1 Normal

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Sani-chips?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan427 View Post
    one thing i can tell you about racks is no matter what substrate you use your humidity will always be good.i currently use paper towels or newspaper . i personally like it because its easier for me to clean and if i were to get mites i can control the situation faster. good luck
    Yeah, I use paper currently because I know things are CLEAN, and it doesn't cause problems in the breeding tubs, only the tanks. But paper is a pain, and my husband has to take care of my animals for a month or two this summer, so I'm trying to make it easier for him. But you're basically saying: if I'm not having problems with paper, I won't have problems with sani-chips?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Okay, let's try a slightly different question then: anybody out there using Animal Plastics? How much air flow is there, and do you have problems with humidity?

Thanks
    I use Aspen shavings. I go through a ton of paper towel with the other herps. Bc my snakes don't go poop everyday like some of my geckos and dragons it's easier for me to use something that won't get waterlogged, ripped, and all stuffed Into a corner like paper seems to do for me in their cages. They also love to sleep under the water dishes so water goes everywhere. The aspen works well for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I have an old AP rack (at least that is what I was told) The air flow is fine the rear is vented and there is about 1 inch side to side movement. The tubs have holes (1/4 inch) around the top lip about 15-20 per side and half as many on the ends. I use a coco coir product but not the chips it is finer grind I am hoping to fine sani chips to try however. I love the coco it clumps with water (pee too) and can actually just be lifted out no problems. I have lots of air holes and with paper humidity was a bit of an issue. The coco fixed that up I dampen it about once every 10 days or so and it holds 55-70% the whole time. I like it and at least where I am cyprus ignoring every 'green' issue is wicked costly (24qt for 20$) and the coco product I use from an organic farmer who brings it in by the bail (1000 lbs) wants just 6$ for 110L (3.8 cubic feet)

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have Animal Plastics, and Sanichips. Just drill a couple of holes in the tubs IF you have humidity problems. (ie wait it out, see if you get some steam/mold, and if you do, drill holes in the tubs)
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!