Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,371

4 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: First Shed

Thanks

First Shed

So my rosy is having her first shed (first with me) and it has been really stressful for me.

She still hasn't shed, and it has been about a week. I have read mixed things about shedding times and just want to know if i should worry. To clarify, its been a week since she first started showing signs of shedding (pink belly). Today is her second day post being blue eyed.

What worries me is that she is in her hide all day and night long. every morning and night, i take her and hold her head near her water. She drinks and drinks and when she is done i let her go back into her hide. She is obviously thirsty, but she wont even go get a drink herself.

She has plenty of things to rub against, and they dont need humidity for shedding so that wouldnt be the problem either.

Am i getting impatient? i guess i worry because she isn't attempting to rub the skin off or anything.

BEING A DADDY IS STRESSFUL!!!!

also, she wont eat, but I'm not too concerned because i have read that they often wont until they are done shedding.

Please put my mind to ease, or tell me some advice if im doing something wrong!

TY

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
    I was a stressful mom with my BP's first shed. I stressed for nothing. He had a perfect shed. As a matter of fact he just had his second shed with me. I wasn't stressed this time. I don't usually bother my BP's when they are in shed except to eat. A couple eat a couple didn't. They stay in there hides the whole time. The shedding process seems to be a little different with each one. Rocko started the 12th and shed this morning 22nd. Your baby will probably be hungry after he sheds. Each time my snakes shed they left a big surprise along with the skin. Kinda looks like they had a Chihuahua in the hides with them It will be fine.
    1.0 Normal (Rocko)
    1.0 Mojave (Mac)
    1.0 Pastel Ghost (Zeus)
    0.1 Spider (Zarah)
    1.0 Butter (Jagger)
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa (Josslynn)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Cee Lo)
    Black Cat Nivea)
    Dachshund (Isabella) (Murphy) (Lilli)
    Mixed Breed (Heidi)

Thanks

Re: First Shed

Yeah, I don't think you have to worry, but I know it's hard not to! I assume most snakes are relatively similar in that it will be several days after their blue clears up before they shed. So just give her a couple more days! It sounds like you're doing everything right. The only thing is that I've read that sometimes rosies will drink too much, but I'm pretty sure that's only a concern after they eat because it can cause them to regurgitate. It's probably a good thing that she's drinking more right now since it will help her separate the two layers of skin.

Oh, and it's a good thing that she's staying in her hide. All snakes are more shy around the time that they shed (since they can't see as well and feel more vulnerable), and if she's hiding that means she feels comfortable in there
    ~ Erin ~

somewhat damaged

0.1 normal ball "Karma"
    1.0 albino ball "Reznor"
    1.0 brazilian rainbow boa "Helix"
    1.1 corns - bloodred "Jambi", creamsicle okeetee "Aurora"
    1.0 striped california king "Nix"
    0.1 yellow tiger crested gecko "Ember"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

I agree with everyone else. Just leave her be. It usually takes anywhere from 3-5 days after the eyes clear up for them to shed. The best you can do is make sure the humidity is good and let her do her thing...
    Last edited by Vypyrz; 03-23-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: correction.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

hehe, didnt have to worry at all. She shed this morning, and its amazing how her colors pop now! She shed in one complete piece including her eye caps. So i'll feed her tonight, cross your fingers and hope she eats

ty for the help with this one.