Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,189

2 members and 3,187 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Giving ur bp a drink.

Ive been watching the viper keeper videos on you tube, and he nearly always manually gives his snakes a drink using the hooked bottle squarter, sometimes the snakes do not even have a water bowl. I realise that he deals with different species from different climites around the world.

It would be interesting to know if anyone actually manually gives there bp water in this way and if so if they drink more

It got me thinking that if i did it they may actually drink more, as he doesnt have to searching the tub or tank for water.

Also a side question that is related. I am aware of the bps heat sensing pits, but i was thinking can bps detect changes in humidity, for example when there shedding how do they know that they need more humidity and seek moisture like a humid hide, do they have a sensory organ for this?

I suppose this thread is all things water related.

Thanks

Thanks
    All mine have a water bowl, and I've never given them a "manual drink"
    Ball Pythons:
    1.7 Normal 1.0 Spider 1.1 Cinnamons
    1.1 Mojaves 0.1 Pastel 0.1 Het Albino
    1.0 Yellowbelly

Corn Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Corn
    0.1 Albino Corn
    0.1 Creamsicle Corn

Others:1.0 Mexican King Snakes 0.2 Dogs - Gracie and Loba 1.0 Three Legged Cat - O'Doyle
    1.0 Red Iguana - Rex 2.0 Umbrella Cockatoos 0.2 Rose Breasted Cockatoos
    2.7 Button Quail 2.12 Breeder/Pet Rats

Thanks
    X2 never done manual drinking. If I have a dehydrated rescue I do warm baths to rehydrate. Everyone has water bowls.

BPnet Veteran majorleaguereptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think ball pythons as a species typically are very head shy making manual drinking pretty difficult. I imagine it is very possible if you can find a ball python that is comfortable enough in their own shoes. Although Venomous snakes will avoid confrontation they don't seem to be head shy like ball pythons. They are very alert and their eyes/ head stay on target while ball pythons will curl in a ball. I really enjoy his videos, and nice to see his passion working with those animals. Although, I could never think about doing the same. The viper keeper seems to have some of the best husbandry skills for those hots as I've seen. His snakes look very healthy and his assist drinking seems to work amazing with all those species.

Thanks

Re: Giving ur bp a drink.

yes thats a good point taking in to account the head shyness for bps, my little guy is relatively good regarding this though, his not to head shy, great little snake.

I to love the viper keeper videos, they are fantastic and the snakes are amazing, some of them ive never heard of before. Its great when he gives them all drinks, and your right his care for his very dangerous snakes is amazing! I will keep watching for sure

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    interesting notion I agree however I have maybe 2 that would tolerate it at all. However I do have an odd segway, my big Mojave male always drinks when i am holding him and returning him to his enclosure he will while being supported by me stick his head in and drink a good long one and then continue to his hides.