Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,439

2 members and 3,437 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

is it my bp ready to eat now?

like my last post about my stress bp.she already off fed for 2 weeks and i let her to de-stress herself.today i see her very active in the tank.i try to search in google and find out that active bp mean she is hungry.but in my last thread someone said it because she stress.so i put a test.i try to handling it,but this time,she dont look scare and she dont hardening his body like before.she look very relax just she still make the S shape but not for long and start to move slowly.i am handling it for over 10 minutes before i put it back in her tank.so that mean she not stress n ready to eat right?.....

p/s:i am a worried right now because her weight drop and i can see her stomach like been suck inside.so,if my bp dont eat tomorrow,should i do assist feeding?she already 5 to 6 months olds(coz i watch a video said only small bp can be assist feeding)
    Last edited by psychophobia; 03-22-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    PLEASE CLICK HERE

Thanks

Re: is it my bp ready to eat now?

Hi there, I think you could try feeding your snake. I don't suggest assist eating at this point. Snakes can last a long time without feeding. If your snake is 6 months she should be fine. How much does she weigh, and how much weight was lost?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python--> Tuna
    0.0.1 Anery Cornsnake---> Sable

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    -Steve Irwin (RIP)

Thanks
    i dont know what is her weigt.but i can feel it more when i lift it in my hand.
    PLEASE CLICK HERE

Thanks
    By hand and eye is really a bad judge. If you don't have a grams scale you should. That way you actually know when your snake is losing weight due to none feeding. While you have a non eating snake do not handle. If she was destressed you handling him just stressed him out again. It's time to be totally hands off until you get that Snake eating on it's own. Assist feeding is going to do you more bad than good right now. That's just more stress added on to him. And he may not take the meal. Some snakes go off feed for no reason. New snakes go off feed. Stressed snakes go off feed. This is what happens. This is why it's so imperative to leave him be until he is eating REGULARLY. I just had a male come back on feed after 6 months. He was breeding and that was the reason he wasn't feeding. They can go quite a while with out feed. But I could tell that it was just breeding behavior because I was taking monthly weights. This should be done every once in a while any ways whether you have 1 or 100. Just so you have a basis to judge from. When they aren't eating you should do a weigh in monthly at least. Then you can see if he's dropping weight or not. Have you checked all your husbandry? Environment is a number 1 reason snakes stop eating.
    I also think you are mistaking him sucking in because you are handling him, for dropping weight. When they are empty they can pretty much suck their bellys all the way in. It's totally normal and it's just bc your snake has nothing in his gut. I'm being honest when I say you will not notice by hand or eye that your snake is dropping weight. You will only be able to make a judgment on that with weigh ins and recording the weights in a notebook. So be totally hands off until he eats regularly and I think you'll see a change.
    Morgan

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

psychophobia (03-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psychophobia View Post
    i dont know what is her weigt.but i can feel it more when i lift it in my hand.
    There is no way you could tell a difference in weight by hand in two weeks. Get a scale. Your letting doubt get in the way of good judgement. Relax, it has been two weeks. My brothers ball didn't eat for a month when he got him. Now he eats ft rats every 5 days like a champ. Balls are tough. Chechen your husbandry and try feeding every 5 days. Gl
    0.1 Normal Ball Python--> Tuna
    0.0.1 Anery Cornsnake---> Sable

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    -Steve Irwin (RIP)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Johan For This Useful Post:

psychophobia (03-23-2011)

Thanks

When you are ready to try to feed do it at night and kepp the room fairly dark and fairly quiet without anyone moving around. I have found if there are a lot of people moving around or the room is brightly lit that can make some snakes not want to eat.