Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,059

0 members and 3,059 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

And two tanks become one!!

So my husband and I were trying to decide how to best house our 2 bps. Obv. not together. So we decided to buy a 40gal breeder from Petco (Zilla Critter Cage) and divide it. We had a piece of cardboard separating the two sides temporarily and finally got it set up with plexi glass. We went to Lowes and bought a piece of acrylic plexi glass and he used his drill to drill holes in it. He then siliconed it into place. There's a spot in the back where our humidifier runs through to either side (and obviously its permeable because of the holes) and the CHE is positioned above in the middle. We are having no problems maintaining temp or humidity. Each snake has his/her own UTH with dedicated thermometer. I'm pretty proud of my husband for doing this. It looks really nice!

Left side:

Right side:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: And two tanks become one!!

Nice project. Good job with the plexiglass.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

That looks pretty cool.

Just wondering, what is the black box on the shelf below the cage on the right side? Is that a speaker?
    George

My Collection:

1.1 Normal Python Regius (Cleveland & Betty White)
    1.0 Spider Python Regius (Peter Parker)
    1.1 Canis Lupus Familiaris -- Pug (Guster & Guinness)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chapskis1 View Post
    That looks pretty cool.

Just wondering, what is the black box on the shelf below the cage on the right side? Is that a speaker?
    My husband tells me it's a sub woofer. Our tv is just to the right of the setup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poundhound2 View Post
    My husband tells me it's a sub woofer. Our tv is just to the right of the setup.
    That's what I thought it was. How long have you had that set-up (with the subwoofer there)? Maybe others that know more than I do could chime in, but it doesn't seem to me like that would be the most ideal spot for the speaker.

Subwoofers cause a great deal of vibration, and it would seem to me that it might not be very enjoyable and even somewhat stressful for your snakes.
    George

My Collection:

1.1 Normal Python Regius (Cleveland & Betty White)
    1.0 Spider Python Regius (Peter Parker)
    1.1 Canis Lupus Familiaris -- Pug (Guster & Guinness)

Thanks

That's what I thought it was. How long have you had that set-up (with the subwoofer there)? Maybe others that know more than I do could chime in, but it doesn't seem to me like that would be the most ideal spot for the speaker.

Subwoofers cause a great deal of vibration, and it would seem to me that it might not be very enjoyable and even somewhat stressful for your snakes.
    About 4 months. Everyone's eating just fine. I promise you it's not bumping.

Thanks

My dad is a musician and there would be a live band practicing in the living room pretty much every weekend, which obviously causes vibrations. In additon to that, I had a 2000 watt stereo in my room with the subwoofers on the other side of my room. My BP was housed in the back corner of my bedroom, away from everything except for the vibrations and he was still a happy, hiding, healthy snake. I had him in that set up for 8 months until I moved in with my boyfriend. The only times he missed meals was twice, both times when I tried to feed him rats (he apparently has imprinted upon mice). Other than that, he was/is a voracious eater, shed great, and I hardly ever saw him. If there was ever any indication that my snake was indeed stressed, he should receive an Oscar for his impressive acting skills.

However, I also put down some Dynamax (I think that's what it was called) and I propped his tank up on pieces of 2" high PVC pipes, so maybe that lessened the vibrations a bit. Either way, if my snake wasn't bothered by the vibrations in my dad's house, I'm sure a smaller subwoofer isn't going to disrupt this woman's snakes enough to make them stressed.
    Last edited by Bones; 03-28-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    (If you want to be cool, taken seriously and accepted on reptile forums, insert the same X.X or X.X.X signature that everyone else has here.)

Thanks
    This would be awesome for a breeding scenario, if the divider were removable.
    Remove the divider for three days, close it for three days How much simpler could it get?
    Nonetheless, it looks great

Thanks
    Nice and creative! I might borrow this idea from you in the future on my second BP, Lol. All you need now is to cover up 3/4's of the tank. To secure your BP's privacy.
    1.0 Pastel BP "Hercules"
    1.0 American Bully "Bruno"
    0.1 Dachshund "Coco"