Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

1 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

BP sneezing help!

so iv'e had my bp for a few years and he seems to have some kind of respiratory problem. every so often he makes a sound like he is exhaling but its like a squeaky stuffed up sneeze. I took him to the vet and she put him on antibiotics and it didn't help at all. he doesn't seem to have anything else wrong he acts normally and eats well. i've taken the substrate out of his tank and increased the humidity but nothing seems to help my poor little guy. i'm at a loss and i feel like iv'e done everything i can do.. should i be worried?? please help!

Thanks
    It's going to sound silly, but is there any chance he could have some stuck shed on his nose? When did he last shed, and did he shed out completely?
    Mine have had a piece of shed stuck on their nose before, it sounds like a respiratory infection, but they rub their nose on everything like it itches, and eventually it comes off and they're fine.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks

Re: BP sneezing help!

what are your temps in side his cage ??

1.0 Albino het Genetic Stripe
    0.1 Albino
    1.1 Lesser
    0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic
    0.1 Pied
    1.0 Pastel het Pied
    0.1 Normal

Thanks
    this has been going on way too long to be a shedding problem.. when the vet looked at him she didn't see anything stuck in his nose and he always gets all the skin off his face i check every time.. and the temp in his tank is usually around 85

Thanks
    What's the hotspot? 85 is fine for ambient but it's way way to cold for hotspot. That should be 92.f.

Registered User masterofdestiny90's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: BP sneezing help!

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    What's the hotspot? 85 is fine for ambient but it's way way to cold for hotspot. That should be 92.f.

I agree the temps need to be raised to at least 92. I keep all my BP at 90 for normal. That way if they happen to get sick I have room to raise the temps so they get better faster.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens". - J.R.R Tolkien

Thanks
    At 92 you also have room. When I have a suspect RI I raise the temps to 94-95 and suspect RI is nil and void.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ditto that..
    I raise overall temp in cage to 90-92, with the hot spot to 100-105. Take out whatever substrate you are using, use newpaper as a temperary substrate, clean everything with a reptile safe disenfective, and clean the water bowl daily.
    I use Baytril injectable myself. 0.4 mil to every 1000grams everyday for 5-7 days, re-evaluate after 3-5 days, and possibly go for another round of 5-7 days. That's how I treat, and usually works after just one round of antibiotics. I leave the temps up for a week or 10 days after treating, just to be sure it's all kicked out. Then I go back to normal temps, disenfect and go back to aspen again. Then, I keep a close eye on that snake for a few weeks to be sure it doesn't get a reinfection.
    I learned the hard way years back, don't mess with RI's in balls... Nip them in the bud quick...

EDIT: I've been treating my own snakes for a long time, my vet supplies me with my Baytril, I don't suggest you treat them yourself unless you've had plenty of experience... Just had to add that!
    Last edited by jasbus; 03-22-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added info