Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,365

2 members and 3,363 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

How much to charge for rodents and how to determine size ??

Ok, I currently breed mice/rats/ASF's for my personal collection as well as a couple friends but I am looking to start selling some to others to help cover my expenses with food/bedding. I looking for input on how much to charge per size and how exactly you would determine the size of each rodent. I realize that the costs vary by locale and supply/demand but I'm hoping to get a general idea of what others are charging.

Thanks,
    Michael

Thanks

Re: How much to charge for rodents and how to determine size ??

Quote Originally Posted by 88Snakes View Post
    Ok, I currently breed mice/rats/ASF's for my personal collection as well as a couple friends but I am looking to start selling some to others to help cover my expenses with food/bedding. I looking for input on how much to charge per size and how exactly you would determine the size of each rodent. I realize that the costs vary by locale and supply/demand but I'm hoping to get a general idea of what others are charging.

Thanks,
    Michael
    I usually try to shoot for 50%-75% of what Rodent Pro is charging INCLUDING shipping in my area.
    Just a few snakes and geckos at the moment.

WARNING:
    Unattended children will be given espresso and a free puppy!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Just always keep in mind when someone says they can get such and such from RodentPro or MiceDirect, or where ever else... The price they quote is before overnight shipping/box charge/dry ice, etc...
    Order 500 medium rats from RodentPro, and it's worth the order, order a couple of dozen, and it's not so cheap. I get customers that pull that all the time. "I can get mediums for $x.xx at rodent pro..." Well, go ahead and order a couple dozen, then tell me the total after all the charges.
    Don't cut yourself short just because they're cheaper online, because they're not! Be honest with them, and tell them that. It usually works.
    You'll always have the hard2$$es that are always right though
    find out a reasonable price that works for you and the customer, and go with it. Make sure not to cut yourself short.

Thanks

Re: How much to charge for rodents and how to determine size ??

Here is a good scale to use...

Pinks to fuzzy .50
    Chubby 16 to 25 grams .75
    Weaned 30 to 40 grams 1.00
    Small 45 to 85 grams 1.50
    Medium 90 to 150 grams 2.00
    Large 150 to 250 grams 3.00
    Jumbo 300 plus 4.00
    The price is just a suggestion.
    Always check to be sure your cost of growing them isn't more than the price you sell them for. That includes all costs, not just food and bedding.

THIS SCALE IS FOR RATS you will need to adjust it for the others.
    Last edited by tonkatoyman; 03-22-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks
    Pinkies - $0.50
    Pups - $0.75
    Weaned - $1.00
    Small - $1.25
    Medium - $1.50
    Large - $1.75
    X-Large - $2.00
    Jumbo - $2.25

My x-larges, and jumbos are only available as I have them. I only raise feeders up to large size for sale specifically as feeders.

X-larges are retired females.

Jumbos are retired males.

I also charge extra for freezing them. If you want them frozen you're paying for the CO2 and for the freezer bags. They're not cheap and they're not free. I also charge for delivery. Gas is $3.35 a gallon. I won't deliver anything for free anymore.

I lost a few loser customers over this, but it makes no difference to me. I would rather not deal with the people that want 4 frozen pinkies per week. When I tell them to take a hike when they want free delivery and free freezer bags they look at me like I should be happy to lose money on their $2.00 weekly order. F them.

Don't be ridiculous with your pricing, but don't low ball either. People are d-bags for the most part that would kick their own mother in the taint to screw you out of a nickel.
    Last edited by tomfromtheshade; 03-27-2011 at 03:18 AM.