Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,292

0 members and 3,292 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Snake eating F/T!

I tried once in the past to get Gene to eat F/T, but it was horribly unsuccessful. He just looked at it like I look at asparagus. It wasn't food, it was some alien thing sent from the depths of Hell to torment him and stink up his otherwise pleasant day. However, this time I bought a couple frozen small rats from PetSmart and decided to try again. Keep in mind that a small rat is bigger than anything he's had before. I thawed the rat in the room with him, and then I warmed up some chicken broth and let it sit in that for about five minutes. I don't have feeding tongs so I held the rat by the tail and danced it around his cage for a few minutes.

He watched, tongue flickering wildly, then hovered, then curled into the classic 'S' shape we know so well. A few moments later, he struck! This was PROGRESS! He'd never done this before. So we promptly evacuated the bedroom and left him alone. Five minutes or so later, I looked and the rat was gone! Woo! My only worry is that he won't eat another one, so I'm going to wait two weeks before feeding him again.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sweet! If he took this one I don't see why he wouldn't eat another one next week. I have heard about the chicken broth trick, but have never tried it. Maybe I'll try it the next time I have a tough feeder. Also, if you didn't do it the first time, if he's not interested in the f/t prey you can leave it in the tub/tank all night. Some of mine won't eat f/t until several hours later. The only thing that sucks about doing that is that if your snake doesn't eat it, you have to throw it away
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 03-20-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    I am just thrilled about him eating F/T. It will save me so much money and time. I live in Indy, and Hoosier Mouse Supply has GREAT prices on frozen rodents. I'm going to give them a call when I get paid and order a good amount of small/medium frozen rats. Their live rodents are extremely high quality so I have zero doubts about their frozen supply. They will also ship f/t via UPS ground, and while I'm not sure how much that'll cost, it will be worth it.

Thanks

Re: Snake eating F/T!

Plan to spend $50 or so on shipping.
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanks Mike. I don't live too far away from their location so it might be cheaper to drive out there and pick up the order

Thanks

Re: Snake eating F/T!

Quote Originally Posted by Quacking-Terror View Post
    Thanks Mike. I don't live too far away from their location so it might be cheaper to drive out there and pick up the order
    Yea thats a ballpark price range. Could be more, could be less depends how many u order and how many boxes it fits into.

Rodentpro is about $35 to ship it to me.
    Mike