Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,137

0 members and 3,137 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Another eye caps thread

So I have just bought my first ball python like 5 days ago and it was in middle of a bad shed. I decided to give him a bad, which I did yesterday. A lot of shedding came off, but still had some one his head and his eyes was still grey. I gave him a second bath today, and some shed came off, but his eyes were still grey.

How can I remove his eye caps without hurting him somehow? This bath-metod just removes his shedding. He is pretty small, around 1,5 feet.

Thanks
    From a previous thread---
    quote from "asixtwo":
    If it is a retained eye cap, getting some moisture into the snakes skin is going to help quite a bit.

Since the eyes/eyecaps are on the top of the head soaking is only partially effective.

When I have snakes with retained eyecaps, I soak them for 20 minutes then put them in a wet snake bag and put the bag back into the cage and leave the snake in it overnight. Not only does this keep the skin moist, as the snake crawls around in the bag, they pretty much have to rub the eyecap on the inside of the bag.

This is the best way (I have found) to get of a retained eye cap with the lease amount of trauma to the snake.

Be sure to keep an eye on the snake, as prolonged exposure to wet conditions can cause scale rot.
    ----------------------

Quote from "Legray23":

I know I had to (gently) wipe my pastels eye because he had little coconut fiber specks on it for like a week....Something to thing of. Have you tried letting her slither through a damp towel??

-------

hope this helps

Thanks

Re: Another eye caps thread

Quote Originally Posted by Blubb View Post
    So I have just bought my first ball python like 5 days ago and it was in middle of a bad shed. I decided to give him a bad, which I did yesterday. A lot of shedding came off, but still had some one his head and his eyes was still grey. I gave him a second bath today, and some shed came off, but his eyes were still grey.

How can I remove his eye caps without hurting him somehow? This bath-metod just removes his shedding. He is pretty small, around 1,5 feet.
    there are a few things u can do like soaking him for 30 min or putting him in a damp pillow case for an hour or so .but the best thing is to keep your humidity at a constant 60% and wait for his next shed .

1.0 Albino het Genetic Stripe
    0.1 Albino
    1.1 Lesser
    0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic
    0.1 Pied
    1.0 Pastel het Pied
    0.1 Normal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryan427 View Post
    there are a few things u can do like soaking him for 30 min or putting him in a damp pillow case for an hour or so .but the best thing is to keep your humidity at a constant 60% and wait for his next shed .
    Okay, thanks for the answer ! So I should moisten a pillow case and put him into it? How do I "close" it, so it wont get out of it? And should I put the pillow case (with the snake inside) into a plastic box?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Okay, thanks for the answer ! So I should moisten a pillow case and put him into it? How do I "close" it, so it wont get out of it? And should I put the pillow case (with the snake inside) into a plastic box?
    The more you muck with the animal the worse you are going to make this situation. Stop giving him baths.

If he doesn't have a hide, go buy one. While you are out shopping for the hide also pick up some sphagnum moss. Soak the moss in tepid water and then wring it out. Place it in the hide and for a nice little touch, pile some around and on top of the hide.

Thanks

You can put a damp towl (or washcloth) in the pillow case, then make a loose knot. The snake should be good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SheenaCamp View Post
    You can put a damp towl (or washcloth) in the pillow case, then make a loose knot. The snake should be good.
    Won't he sufficate in the pillow case? I mean, he won't get any air. Thanks by the way for all answers guys !

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not a loose knot. You need a tight knot. They can and will work their way out of a case if the knot is loose.

And no, it won't have any trouble breathing. Pillow cases aren't air tight. You don't want it soaking wet...just wet it thoroughly then wring it out really well. Place the snake in....tie the top nice and tight...and lay it on the warm side of its enclosure. I've never had to do this for more than an hour to remove any stuck shed.

If THAT doesn't do the trick...then I recommend not messing with it anymore and wait to see if it clears up with the next shed. In the meantime, fix the enclosure to make sure the snake is happily secure and the humidity levels stay around 50% consistently. Skiploader's suggestion about the moss can work very well, but depending on your setup, you may have to re-moisten it from time to time.

Your words, "The eyes are still gray" concern me. Stuck eyecaps are not usually gray...they're usually perfectly clear but a little jagged looking around the edges.

EDIT for more thoughts: Be sure to turn the pillowcase inside out so the snake can't get caught within loose, looping threads. Also, check the seams closely before trying this and make sure all the seams and corners are sewn securely. The smallest weakness can be exploited! LOL
    Last edited by JLC; 03-21-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Smile Re: Another eye caps thread

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Your words, "The eyes are still gray" concern me. Stuck eyecaps are not usually gray...they're usually perfectly clear but a little jagged looking around the edges.
    Well, a little grey. I checked some eye caps pictures on google, and it looks like my ball pythons eyes. So I guess it's "normal". Thanks by the way for your answer, it really helped