Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

0 members and 3,325 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

*Possibly* Getting a Red Tail Boa

I've been doing numerous hours of research on different snakes and I think found the perfect one. I am thinking about getting a Red Tail Boa. The only thing keeping me from wanting to get one is my small niece. She is 1 year old and when I gave it some thought about getting a Red Tail, she popped up in my mind. I know it's very dangerous to have large snakes around small children. The Red Tail I am thinking about getting is still very young but I do realize they get really big, especially if they're female. Do you guys think I should still get one? Maybe when she is over, I could keep the snake locked in its cage until she leaves?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: *Possibly* Getting a Red Tail Boa

Any interaction between children and animals should be closely supervised, but the most important things is to properly educate your niece as she grows. You, as the owner/keeper always have the final say. You can still enjoy owning and raising a boa and simply do not allow contact between your niece and any snake that you don't feel comfortable with. Besides, there are plenty of RTB's that don't get that big, unless you are looking for one in particular.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

PastelPython (03-20-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post
    Any interaction between children and animals should be closely supervised, but the most important things is to properly educate your niece as she grows. You, as the owner/keeper always have the final say. You can still enjoy owning and raising a boa and simply do not allow contact between your niece and any snake that you don't feel comfortable with. Besides, there are plenty of RTB's that don't get that big, unless you are looking for one in particular.
    That's a relief! Thank you so much . I was a bit worried about getting one only because I feared for her safety but seeing I could keep the snake in a secure enclosure while she is over helped a lot.

Now for me. As long as I don't plan on carrying this snake around my neck or shoulder areas, are they safe to handle?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PastelPython View Post
    That's a relief! Thank you so much . I was a bit worried about getting one only because I feared for her safety but seeing I could keep the snake in a secure enclosure while she is over helped a lot.

Now for me. As long as I don't plan on carrying this snake around my neck or shoulder areas, are they safe to handle?
    As safe as any snake is, as long as you interact and handle it regularly. The thing to remember is that not all red tail species get big. Mine will only average 5-6ft when full grown. That is why alot more research is needed when it comes to boas because different localities, species, and sexes will grow to different sizes. The first thing to decide is how big of a boa do you want to eventually deal with? Once you decide that, then people can make recommendations. Another thing to consider is caging. You may want a boa that will be 9-10ft long, but will you be able to eventually buy or build caging for a snake that big. Another thing to do before selecting a boa is to check with your local vets. Some have size restrictions on the snakes they will see. So that could also be a factor in selecting which type of boa you get.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks
    RTBs are one of the most popular pet snakes for a reason: they are, generally speaking, very handleable. Of course, as with all other snakes, that is heavily dependent on how often and in what manner you handle it. If you handle it casually every day as a baby, you should end up with a very docile animal that will be a fantastic educational tool for your niece. Make sure she grows to love snakes and treat them with respect, not fear.