Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

2 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: constipation?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

constipation?

To start the enclosure is at 60% humidity most of the time it varies about 8% up and down but generally spot on 60%.

The temps are set to 80 on the cool side and 89 warm I had it set to 90 for a while but found the snake almost never moved from the cool side so I dropped it that one degree and she started to use the hot hide more (about 15% or the time.)

We rescued her in October and aside from the first feeding I didn't offer she has yet to miss a meal. She isn't the most active snake but isn't inactive either she will hang out of her hide evenings. All in all she seems healthy aside from she has not defecated since December.

I have been soaking her in 88-6º water four days in a row last week and this week I stopped a day before feeding day and 2 days after. She has passed urinates twice last week and not at all this week.

I have made a vet appointment already for this coming week but the vet isn't the most experienced herp vet she is great and I trust her but is trained with birds. The nearest vet with lots of herp experience is a 28 hour drive away (round trip)

The reason I am concerned is she is starting to bloat, at last week is was subtle but more pronounced yesterday. The vet is closed on the weekend but I emailed for an appointment.

I have been reading John Rossi's book what is wrong with my snake and in it there is a suggestion of a 'rat lax' a small amount of mineral oil injected into a rat (1ml per kilo) I was going to try this tonight and see if that helps.

Does anyone have any advise? Or ideas, I normally would not be worried but she has had many issues in the past and is quite dear to me.

Thanks
    If I read the post right she hasn't pooped since December.but has passed urates. What kind of bedding is she on and do you feed in the enclosure? If she's bloated she is prolly blocked somewhere. Until you can get to the vet you can let her crawl around on the floor for a while. I believe it helps move things along. You are already soaking so that's good.
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mpkeelee For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (03-20-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    She started on aspen chips but was switched to coco coir. I do feed in the enclosure. I do feed on a plastic sheet inside the enclosure. She did get a bunch of aspen once...
    Last edited by kitedemon; 03-20-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks
    Could be due to a blockage that is caused by the bedding but maybe not. If she's a big girl she may be getting ready to shed and will drop a nice one for u.
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: constipation?

They can go long periods without pooping, so don't hold your breath, lol. I wouldn't worry unless the area right before the tail looks swelled up like a water balloon. Then she could be blocked up. If she has passed urates then I would think she is not backing up. Soaking is the best cure for what is usually a blocked urated possibly from dehydration so it sounds like you are doing the right thing. Pictures are always worth a 1000 words. Post one if you see swelling.