Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,020

0 members and 1,020 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thinking About Getting a Green Tree Python

Aside from thinking about getting a Ball Python, I am thinking about getting a Green Tree Python. I understand these snakes are not a beginner snake unless you know how to properly care for one. I'm doing research on them and I am very interested in getting one but I have a small question about handling. I don't really care too much about handling but it ok to let these snakes come out of their enclosure from time to time. About how often would you say these guys can be handled and for how long at a time? If I got one, would it be ok to take it outside to get some real sunlight say once or twice a week?

Thanks

Re: Thinking About Getting a Green Tree Python

First off, I'm sure you will get varying responses to this. However, all of my gtps are very easy to handle (I haven't been tagged yet!) day or night, as long as they are given some warning first. I have found them very easy to care for as long as their cages are set up adequately. Of course "easy" is a relative term, I'm sure they are relatively more difficult when compared to other species (corns, etc.) If you do you research and have a cage set up and established beforehand you would probably do fine, even if you chose to get one as your first snake.
    This first girl was a WC expo purchase/rescue. I was told by the wholesaler that she was imported last March. I purchased her one month later in April and she has been a complete angel...I'm sure part of this is just plain luck, but I'm also very careful about how I handle her, especially for the first 10 min or so.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Babies are very fragile, its not like you can't handle them but you have to be very careful. Don't pull them off perches, you have to work them off gently, just their small size you can easily dislocate their spine or kink them. Other than that, once they get some size on them, it no different than any other snake. How often and how long to handle them is like every other snake, depends on the individual animal.

If you feel you must take your animal outside you could, but it doesn't offer any benefit to them. I wouldn't suggest it just because whats the point?

Thanks
    One more thing that wasn't mentioned: unlike terrestrial snakes, they have prehensile tails which are very delicate.

Thanks

I would love to buy a GTP as well. What I plan on doing is buying a yearling or a little older from a breeder. I plan on looking for one that has a decent temperament. All of the breeders I have bought from will tell you about temperament. Before purchasing though maybe do a fauna classified search for them because some people will lie. That's just my .02 though.

Thanks
    I don't own a GTP, but I have done a ton of research.
    Here are my two breeder recommendations: Signal Herp, and Fine GTPs (formerly Greg Maxwell).

If a pet shop or show vendor has a GTP priced like an import Biak, it most likely is an import Biak.

Thanks

Rico Walder is great to do business with and will advise you of the animal's temperament based on what you're looking for. Bobby Keller (Fine GTPs) is doing a lot of line breedings (blueline, HY, etc.) so be prepared to spend at least a grand for a neo - I'm not saying these are poorly priced, they're just selectively bred, top of the line, animals. I find nothing wrong with purchasing imports (my animal from Rico is an import), Bushmaster has some nice stuff, just be careful who you buy them from. If you get to the point where you're looking to buy, go to moreliaviridis.yuku.com and make a post in the classifieds as to what you're looking for, someone will help you out. Everyone on there (this includes Rico and Bobby) has an excellent reputation and will not steer you wrong.

Registered User jack the ball python's Avatar
    Thanks
    i wood get one

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm also considering a GTP as well, so I always love threads like this. They are the most beautiful snake! I'm nervous about their care requirements though. I've heard they are much harder than BPs, and when I was a beginner BP keeper I didn't think BPs were easy by any means!

Thanks
    I've had my female GTP for over 5 years and although they do require more care, humidity, proper perching, temps etc. I wouldn't really say they are not for beginners. They can be snippy but as previously stated it helps to make sure they are aware of what is approaching them before you stick your hand in their enclosure. Take it slow and give them time to adjust. Watch for the tongue, slow long flicks seem more investigatory, short quick more of a hunting mode. They can literally go for being still Yo striking within seconds, this really goes for any snake but gtps can be aggressive.

As babies, not a good idea to handle them too much, as stated before their tails are very fragile as are their bodies really. Then are built light and thin. Sub adults are no problem, I take mine out probably once a week without issue to clean her enclosure etc. Let her loose for a bit

I will say there have been times at dawn when feeding, her feeding response is very aggressive, she strikes fast and hard, I wouldn't want her to snag me that's for sure. Overall, it's a beautiful animal but deserves respect for what they are, ball pythons they are not. Hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast