Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,226

1 members and 3,225 guests
myah,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

a few simple question but need the answer fast

my bp seem stress for 2 week n i just let it in her tube for de-stress,she always hide n never come out.she already gone off fed for 2 weeks.before this,she alway make ball when i try to handling her.just now,i see her go outside of her hide and i try to handling her.first she afraid and make like a ball then after a few minute,she start to explore n like to go somewhere else.

my question is:

1)is it true if the snake try to explore that mean she it ok n not stress(already tame)?
    2)how i gonna handle it if she like want to run away or try to go to my laptop?(any video on this?)i mean which part should i grab on her body,u know what i mean right?lol!
    3)can i fed her tomorrow or should i wait a little longer?
    PLEASE CLICK HERE

Thanks

Re: a few simple question but need the answer fast

Quote Originally Posted by psychophobia View Post
    1)is it true if the snake try to explore that mean she it ok n not stress(already tame)?
    2)how i gonna handle it if she like want to run away or try to go to my laptop?(any video on this?)i mean which part should i grab on her body,u know what i mean right?lol!
    3)can i fed her tomorrow or should i wait a little longer?
    First off, how long have you had her? It sounds like you might have to give her a week or two without handling because she seems really stressed out.
    Also, what's your setup like? It could be something with her enclosure that is making her stress.

1. Not necessarily. "Exploring" is usually the snake trying to escape, so it means the snake is stressed. In the enclosure the snake shouldn't be "exploring" but should be either in her hides or just laying out, chilling there.
    2. Whenever you pick up a snake you want to go for the middle-ish part of the body, not too close to her head because you'll spook her (most snakes are head shy because they have no limbs to protect their head)
    3.when was the last time you tried to feed her? Usually with a snake who rejected food because of stress you don't want to offer food too often because that will start to freak them out too (viscious cycle lol). I'd say just wait until its been about five or seven days since the last attempt and don't handle her (unless its taking her out for cage cleaning) until she's eaten for you.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexandra V For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-20-2011),psychophobia (03-20-2011),Skittles1101 (03-20-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    +1 Alexandra
    A snake that is pacing around the enclosure is generally stressed. I've heard so many times, a hiding ball python is a happy ball python.

You should be sticking close enough to your ball python when you let them out to avoid them getting stuck someplace where they shouldn't be.

You should wait about a week before attempting to feed a snake who's refused food.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

psychophobia (03-20-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    lets start with the basics what are you temps and humidly, and how are you providing heat?

Stress in snakes almost always manifests in feeding refusals, although there can be other reasons for adult animals (over 1200 gm usually) breeding behaviour. Not all snakes will show that either.

there is a lot of ideas of normal behaviour but one respected source I like will say that a snake that hides and never explores is stressed. A constant hiding animal can have digestion problems as they are always tightly coiled. (ref John Rossi what's wrong with my snake pp 74-5) A constant exploring snake is also likely stressed. It is about pace of the animal a gentle poking about or hanging out exploring is healthy and encouraging that animal feels safe and comfortable in the environment. but a frantic poking and pushing into corners prowling about with lots of head movement is stress. Especially during the day.

I'd recommend waiting to handle until the animal has fed and let her alone try not to disturb her. Patience is needed here, when handling alexandra has that spot on support as much as the body as you can and move slowly not too fast.

Check you temps and humidity, have you read some care sheets?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Keyboard Warrior (04-29-2011),psychophobia (03-20-2011)

Thanks
    owh,it mean she stress.thank for the tips.it help me a lot in understanding this awesome creature.

i just buy it 2 weeks ago,i read in here,we should leave her alone for 1 week for her to comfortable with her new home.but she still dont want to eat(she already eat 4 days before i bought her),so i let her for another week.i put it in a tube with 2 hiding,1 water bowl near to the cool spot,for beding,i dont know what i am using,but in the bedding packet,there a picture of ball python(no other desription on it but i see it been use by the petshop).my room is already hot between 80 to 90 but i still order a heatpad for my bp heat their belly.

so what i should do is:

1)let her de-stress again for 1 more week before fed it again
    2)handle in the middle of her body
    3)always take a good look if i take her out of her tube

my other question is:
    how long the snake can off fed?
    PLEASE CLICK HERE

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I don't like how people say exploring = stressed, there is a big difference between exploring and trying to escape. I have quite a few snakes who will just explore, they just check things out and do what snakes do, you can just see in their movements there no stress.

When their trying to escape means stress, they will look like their checking things out, but when they find a place to hide, they dive right in it. I notice their movements are faster, more "jerky" i guess id call it. its pretty easy to see their not comfortable.

how old is your bp?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    lets start with the basics what are you temps and humidly, and how are you providing heat?

Stress in snakes almost always manifests in feeding refusals, although there can be other reasons for adult animals (over 1200 gm usually) breeding behaviour. Not all snakes will show that either.

there is a lot of ideas of normal behaviour but one respected source I like will say that a snake that hides and never explores is stressed. A constant hiding animal can have digestion problems as they are always tightly coiled. (ref John Rossi what's wrong with my snake pp 74-5) A constant exploring snake is also likely stressed. It is about pace of the animal a gentle poking about or hanging out exploring is healthy and encouraging that animal feels safe and comfortable in the environment. but a frantic poking and pushing into corners prowling about with lots of head movement is stress. Especially during the day.

I'd recommend waiting to handle until the animal has fed and let her alone try not to disturb her. Patience is needed here, when handling alexandra has that spot on support as much as the body as you can and move slowly not too fast.

Check you temps and humidity, have you read some care sheets?
    the humidity is like in the care sheet,between 70-90.not below 70 n not above 90.the heat in the tube is 80 to 90 but i still dont provided belly heat(heatpad) because the order still now arrived yet.from what u said,i can say that my bp have digestion problem,because for 2 weeks,she never come out from it hide or maybe i dont see it(maybe while i am working or sleeep).but from i know,bp need heat to digest,so that maybe true.urghhh....when my order will arrive????........
    PLEASE CLICK HERE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    I don't like how people say exploring = stressed, there is a big difference between exploring and trying to escape. I have quite a few snakes who will just explore, they just check things out and do what snakes do, you can just see in their movements there no stress.

When their trying to escape means stress, they will look like their checking things out, but when they find a place to hide, they dive right in it. I notice their movements are faster, more "jerky" i guess id call it. its pretty easy to see their not comfortable.

how old is your bp?
    from what u write here,i think she stress because she move fast9jerky and sometime look like she shock at something that i dont see) and i have to catch up with his head to pull it back to my body.then i just put it back to the tube n she hide.i dont know the right age of my bp,but i think between 5 or 6 months.
    PLEASE CLICK HERE

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psychophobia View Post
    from what u write here,i think she stress because she move fast9jerky and sometime look like she shock at something that i dont see) and i have to catch up with his head to pull it back to my body.then i just put it back to the tube n she hide.i dont know the right age of my bp,but i think between 5 or 6 months.
    it would be very typical for her to be stressed at such a young age, the world is a big place compared to them. if shes eating good, then take it small steps at a time, as they grow up she will most likely get used to you and the world. no worries

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

psychophobia (03-20-2011)

Thanks
    She sounds pretty stressed. I would handle her every few days for a little while, and try to do it in small increments. My ball python, when I first got her, didn't like being handled for too long, and got stressed enough to not eat. Me not handling her for more than five-ten minutes every other few days for about two weeks did WONDERS.
    Now she is hungry and happy.