Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,183

1 members and 3,182 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weirdo cat?

Thanks

weirdo cat?

My cat trevor is less than a year old hes not fixed and hes got a huge personality (he likes to attack our rottie). But he has this weird thing he does....when I go to bed he comes up like a minute later then pushes his head under my neck and starts purring like crazy and moves his paws like hes nursing but he uses claws and puts them into my pillow.....But he does that for a good ten minutes....apparently im the only one he does it to and besides messing up my hair hes not hurting me at all I just would like to know why he does it...If you have an idea please feel free to express your opinion.

thanks Melissa

Thanks
    the behavior with the feet is called kneading, and its something they do when they are happy and content. He does it because he loves you and he feels comfortable around you

Thanks

Re: weirdo cat?

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbird View Post
    the behavior with the feet is called kneading, and its something they do when they are happy and content. He does it because he loves you and he feels comfortable around you
    oh my gosh thats awesome! thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by melrappmel View Post
    My cat trevor is less than a year old hes not fixed and hes got a huge personality (he likes to attack our rottie). But he has this weird thing he does....when I go to bed he comes up like a minute later then pushes his head under my neck and starts purring like crazy and moves his paws like hes nursing but he uses claws and puts them into my pillow.....But he does that for a good ten minutes....apparently im the only one he does it to and besides messing up my hair hes not hurting me at all I just would like to know why he does it...If you have an idea please feel free to express your opinion.

thanks Melissa
    Yeah, cinderbird is right! My two cats (Piate & Miss Billy Corgan) do something similar and, in fact, one "nurses" on her own thigh. It started when they were kittens (they're sisters) and they both would nurse on Miss Billy's tummy. As Miss Billy gained weight, and they both got older, Pirate stopped the nursing but Miss Billy continues it....she just moved to her thigh because she's too fat to reach her belly. And they're not actually nursing, they would just suck on a tuff of hair but they also do the kneading thing, too.
    Last edited by SheenaCamp; 03-19-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks

I have always called it milk treading, because they do that while nursing too. In fact, my dachshund does it all the time too!
    1.0 Husband (Aaron)
    1.0 Normal (Milton)
    1.0 Puppy (Ollie)

Thanks
    Most of the time the reason behind the kneading action with kitties (never heard of it for dogs, lol!) is because they were weaned away from their mother too early. This is what I've heard and I've personally seen a bit of evidence to support it, but it could be totally false.

Just to say- I really don't want to sound mean, but.. why isn't your kitty fixed? Did you want to raise kittens? It's totally okay if you do, but when boy kitties get older and aren't fixed they spray. A lot. :/
    0.1 Albino Nelson's Milk snake
    1.1 Pewter
    0.1 Mojo Spider (Gaia)
    0.1 Bumblebee
    1.0 Lesserbee
    1.1 Fire (Pele)
    0.1 Axanthic VPI (Isis)
    0.1 Normal
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Albino Burmese ("Bad Dog")

1.0 Wolf aka Puffball (Trapper)

1.0 Dork Boy (Roo)

Thanks
    I have an Egyptian mau that does that all that does that all the time i was told that it was a good thing he is happy but sometimes it hurts

Thanks
    I call it. Makin Muffins. lol

be happy he uses the pillow for his claws and not your skin, my girl was quite the muffin maker when she was alittle younger and it was conflicting being so sweet and so painful at the same time O.o.

<I agree, un-neutered boy cats make with the stink as they mature. Might want to get that done, ASAP if hes not a breeder>
    ------------------
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Bumblebee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    Most of the time the reason behind the kneading action with kitties (never heard of it for dogs, lol!) is because they were weaned away from their mother too early. This is what I've heard and I've personally seen a bit of evidence to support it, but it could be totally false.

Just to say- I really don't want to sound mean, but.. why isn't your kitty fixed? Did you want to raise kittens? It's totally okay if you do, but when boy kitties get older and aren't fixed they spray. A lot. :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post

Thirding(?) Getting him neutered.

There are other behavioral issues associated with being taken away from the mother or siblings too early. I have a cat that was bottle fed from two weeks of age until weaning since he was found abandoned. He licks, A LOT. And the licking/mouthing or sucking behavior is an example. It happens in dogs too, as well as biting and rough play. They learn how to play-bite without causing harm from playing with their mother or siblings. Its called "bite inhibition."

I don't remember kneading behavior being grouped with that though.
    Last edited by cinderbird; 03-19-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast