Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,448

2 members and 3,446 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convincing

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Roger that, Slitherin! I'm 28 and didn't get my first reptile until I was 27. No, I didn't live at home that long, I just didn't get into it until then, lol!

Good luck to you, Daserh! Seems like everyone's hit on the one big thing with all of this, that being responsibility. Read as much as you can and research it like none other to not only prepare yourself but to demonstrate that you're responsible enough.

If it's something you're passionate about, show that to your mom and try to include her in it as far as the educating process. If all else fails, pet ownership has been shown to have positive health benefits such as stress reduction and things of that nature. Pretty sure the study cited dogs and cats, but anyway...! Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Thanks

Re: Convincing

I'm almost 30 and got my first BP less than a month ago. My wife (bless her) hates slithery things and loves small fuzzies (mice, rats, guinea pigs, gerbils etc..) but I guess she got tired of getting all the critters and has seen me fawning over Bps for 7 years now, so she finally brought one home as a surprise.
    Anyways I had wanted a BP since I was 9 and my mother refused to let me have a snake even when such beauties like an albino cornsnake were being offered for free. I kept several other reptiles, but the condition was that they had to have legs...
    Oh well, I'm diving headfirst into my BP addiction now! Better late than never...

Thanks

I wanted a snake when I was a kid too but that was a no go, then when I moved out I was in a serious relationship with a woman that would literally freak out if there was a snake within sight. We ended up getting married but that didn't work out so we divorced and I ended up not getting my first snake until I was 40.

Thanks

Wink Re: Convincing

Just wonderin if its a lil crazy that my mom just EXPECTS me to bring home odd animals...first was the Turtles, then the whole Tarantula thing, then the mice, then i stupidly moved onto very big rats, i had 4 all males tho! yay! lol. Now I have a snake, she posted on one my fb photos, shes not surpised cuz I always bring home diff types of animals, not as bad as when i bring home stray dogs and cats too! If my land lord would allow it...I WOULD! GOod thing he doesnt know bout the snake or the Chinchillia yet! lmao.

Btw, DONT do what I did! My mom was pretty cool with it cuz I was grown & married at the time, even if I did live in her house. I have seen with parents that if you show them you are responsible, and even get a job to pay for said animal they are pretty cool with it, long as YOU take care of it, and NOT them.

-Kristen-
    I am new to this whole thing of keeping my awesome Snake Loki & their bro Chin.
    My rescues:

0.0.1 Normal Ball Python - (Loki)

1.0 Chin Chin Pu PimpChillia- Chincillia Standard (RIP 3/30/2011)

My QT:

0.0.1 Normal Ball Python - Naga

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by youbeyouibei View Post
    Roger that, Slitherin! I'm 28 and didn't get my first reptile until I was 27. No, I didn't live at home that long, I just didn't get into it until then, lol!
    I think just about every response you've wrote me has made me literally laugh out loud I'm with you though, it took me awhile to get into the hobby. I thought snakes were interesting, but the ones that move fast freak me out, ie corns, and I don't want one that can eat me.... Things sort of fell into place and 14 BPs later here I am

To the OP, if your mom keeps saying no, don't think your dreams are crushed forever, they are just on hold. My mom will still not allow my sister to have snakes in the house, her snakes are with me. My mom will come over to check on the snakes while I'm on vacation and she's getting pretty OK with them, but still doesn't want them in her house!
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 03-16-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks

I agree with everyone who's posted!
    "Convincing" doesn't always work though. I begged my parents since I was about 12 years old and I had proven I was responsible (took care of everything from dogs to horses at that age), but I didn't actually get my first snake until a little over a month ago and I'm now almost 19.

If I was given the chance to go back a few years to try to "convince" them again, I think I'd have taken my parents to a Reptile Show/Expo.. great way to educate them as well as yourself.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12