Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,466

4 members and 3,462 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Humidity

Thanks

Humidity

So, my Accurite has been reading that my tubs have around 47% humidity;
    But I bought a couple of digital hygrometers for a second opinion, and they read that my tubs are staying around 70-75%.

So, should I go ahead and drill another row of holes, or are there no ill-effects of having humidity up to 15% higher than usual?

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    We had a thread on here about a year ago or so about humidity. It's been proven that higher humidity than originally thought is good for BPs. 65-75% is ideal. The only time you may run into problems is if the snake is on a moist surface for extended periods of time which can cause scale rot.

If you think about where they live in the wild, termite mounds and rodent burrows, the humidity is very high in their natural environment. The ambient humidity can be that high without creating surface moisture at all.

I wouldn't worry about punching more holes. None of my tubs have holes except for my small iris hatchling shoeboxes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

LeviBP (03-13-2011)

Thanks

Re: Humidity

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    We had a thread on here about a year ago or so about humidity. It's been proven that higher humidity than originally thought is good for BPs. 65-75% is ideal. The only time you may run into problems is if the snake is on a moist surface for extended periods of time which can cause scale rot.

If you think about where they live in the wild, termite mounds and rodent burrows, the humidity is very high in their natural environment. The ambient humidity can be that high without creating surface moisture at all.

I wouldn't worry about punching more holes. None of my tubs have holes except for my small iris hatchling shoeboxes.

I see, thanks for clearing that up for me