Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,749

1 members and 2,748 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Another handling question ???

Just got a quick question ?

Im still somewhat taming and introducing handling with my new spider ball......I have passed the getting tagged stage and also he has passed the tensing up stage when I go into the tank too pick him up which i think is good process so far ....... Handling him he seems awesome doesn't strike or anything just always wants to keep moving like crazy and flicking his tongue around he seems curious about everything around him ...... But anyways my question is : When I hold him and put my hand about underneath him about 3 inches back from his head why does he squeeze so tight ?...... Not going to lie he didn't constrict or anything but tonight he squeezed around my wrist a little to hard for my comfort !!...... Just wondering is this something normal or what do you think ?.....Im not worried about it or concerned as he is not constricting me or biting so I got nothing too worry about I'm just curious why he does this or they do this is its a common thing ...I don't know if age has anything too do with it but he is 7 months old ..

Any input would be great thanks,

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Another handling question ???

The reason he was squeezing around your wrist is because he probably felt insecure and like he was going to fall. My male normal wraps around my arms when I handle him. I use two hands when handling my snake. It just makes them feel more secure to have something to grip on.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Mine holds on pretty tight when he's around my wrist or neck. That's how they hold on! They are known for being pretty clumsy, so (I think) when they are tight around you it's just them holding on so they don't slip off. If he ever gets too tight it's easier to unwrap by the tail, not the head or neck. I've had to unwrap him from my neck a few times because he likes to get tangled up in my necklace, and he squeezes to hold on lol. I don't think they are trying to hurt or constrict you.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

As others have said, its because he doesn't feel secure. Most bps are rather head shy, especially when they're still getting used to a new owner and environment.

Think about the squeezing kind of like when you're holding hands with someone while watching a horror movie and you squeeze their hand involuntarily when a scary part comes up. Same basic idea. I'm sure with further handling and work he will grow out of it.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

All sounds good ....He has defiantly progressed from when i got him in terms of many things,striking,handling etc etc....

Im not overly concerned about him squeezing tight i just wanted to know what was up with that really ... Other than that i cant complain about anything with my snake ..

Thanks for all the replies