Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,169

1 members and 2,168 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: Snake battle!

Thanks

Exclamation Snake battle!

Wow, I just witnessed my first snake battle! I was cleaning tubs earlier tonight, and had two male BPs out for a few minutes... didn't think anything of it, since I've never had anyone fight (or even notice another snake) before. They were just wandering around the floor/bed area, when I suddenly heard a loud commotion. I immediately turned around, and saw the two boys getting into a fight! It was mostly Julius being a jerk, while Toby was cowering like the gentle baby he is. I quickly grabbed Julius to separate them, and he continued to "battle" the air for a few minutes - waving his head around like a cobra, and whipping his tail back & forth.

My first thought was "well, at least he's in breeding mode now," but I decided to just put him back in the tub to settle down. He's still pretty riled up, so maybe I'll throw him in with Nerissa a bit later. Has anyone else here witnessed a snake fight? And are they capable of really hurting each other? Kinda wish I'd gotten it on video, but I just wanted to separate them as quickly as possible... wouldn't want anyone getting hurt, obviously.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Re: Snake battle!

That's crazy!! I'm curious about this as well. It seems like they wouldn't be able to do too much damage unless they actually started striking at each other, but I don't know. I really would've liked to see it on video, but I think you did the right thing by separating them right away. If nothing else, you don't want the submissive one to get stressed out too much by the attack.
    ~ Erin ~

somewhat damaged

0.1 normal ball "Karma"
    1.0 albino ball "Reznor"
    1.0 brazilian rainbow boa "Helix"
    1.1 corns - bloodred "Jambi", creamsicle okeetee "Aurora"
    1.0 striped california king "Nix"
    0.1 yellow tiger crested gecko "Ember"

Thanks

Re: Snake battle!

We didn't know any better at the time, but we had our spider and pastel boys in the same bag on the trip home. They seemed fine until we opened the bag. The spider was doing exactly what you were describing. He did it again a few weeks ago when we were trying to pair him with one of our females. I think he must have smelled the pastel in there from a few days prior or something... I'm not really sure because that boy is just plain retarded every day.