Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,128

0 members and 3,128 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

This is my little girl.

A few questions as I am new at this and have had her since around November.
    Does she look like a normal Ball? I have added three photos to this but have more on my profile.
    I have her in a 20gallon tank now but am getting her a 75 gallon tank in the next two weeks, will she grow bigger? I was told she was over a year old but she seems small for that age? Thank youhttp://ball-pythons.net/gallery/file...1/dscn0044.jpghttp://ball-pythons.net/gallery/file...1/dscn0040.jpghttp://ball-pythons.net/gallery/file...1/dscn0041.jpg
    Last edited by Dz DOGGz 22; 03-10-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks

Re: This is my little girl.

I'd say normal, but the second picture is very cute! Welcome! A new 20 gallon tank will be fine for her, and its doubtful she will ever need something as large as a 75 gallon. Save your money and keep the 20 gallon
    0.1 normal - Constantine, 0.1 Spider - Lilu
    3.0 doggies -Charlie (rottweiler), Luke (golden retriever), Dallas (german shepherd)
    1.0 Betta fish - Norris
    1.0 Rat - Forrest (R.I.P Mook and Milo)
    1.0 frenchman

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Very nice looking normal...I would really reconsider the 75 gallon tank. It is way to big for her, even as an adult... She will get quite a bit larger, but Bp's never get huge.... Just keep her on a regular feeding schedule and she will grow.
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dz DOGGz 22 View Post
    A few questions as I am new at this and have had her since around November.
    Does she look like a normal Ball? I have added three photos to this but have more on my profile.
    I have her in a 20gallon tank now but am getting her a 75 gallon tank in the next two weeks, will she grow bigger? I was told she was over a year old but she seems small for that age? Thank youhttp://ball-pythons.net/gallery/file...1/dscn0044.jpghttp://ball-pythons.net/gallery/file...1/dscn0040.jpghttp://ball-pythons.net/gallery/file...1/dscn0041.jpg
    Beautiful snake. Im pretty new to balls, but I think she looks alright sized for a year. I wouldnt call her super small, but not huge either. How much does she weight? My girl is about 6 months and weighs about 315 grams.

As far as tank sized in concerned, I think a 75 gal is way too big for your snake. I think a 20 gal is the perfect size for your snake right now. Balls don't like a ton of space and get scared if they have to move large distances to get to their hides. In the wild, balls are victim to things lke birds and it is very risky for them to have their full bodies out in the open. When they switch hides, they like to have a part of their body in a hide through he whole transition . Your snakes size will be determined by 3 main factors: 1) good husbandry such as proper temps, humidity, clean water and home etc 2) genetics: like humans, size is largely determined by genetics 3) How much you feed her. If she has a good diet, chances are she will get bigger. But dont overfeed her either. Although obesity isnt a major threat in balls, overfeeding isnt a good thing just like people

Good luck
    0.1 Normal Ball Python--> Tuna
    0.0.1 Anery Cornsnake---> Sable

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    -Steve Irwin (RIP)

Thanks

I got her from someone that took bad bad care of her. Not sure what she weighs but I do know when I got her she was skinny with no muscle mass. She has been to the vet for some puss pockets on her side. She is all muscle now and seems very happy. I feed her a adult mouse twice a week or close to that, usally when she gets hungry. The bigger tank is being given to me, but I know they like a bunch of clutter to feel inclosed so I planned on putting a lot of stuff with a few hides in it.

Thanks

I got her from someone that took bad bad care of her. Not sure what she weighs but I do know when I got her she was skinny with no muscle mass. She has been to the vet for some puss pockets on her side. She is all muscle now and seems very happy. I feed her a adult mouse twice a week or close to that, usally when she gets hungry. The bigger tank is being given to me, but I know they like a bunch of clutter to feel inclosed so I planned on putting a lot of stuff with a few hides in it.
    Ahh I see, just be careful with the humidity. It can be a monster pain in the butt to keep a large tank like that at the proper humidity level. Probably a nice humid hide would work well since you have the space anyways.

She looks really healthy now, good for you for saving her. I would recommend grabbing a cheap scale from wally or whereever. They are usually under 20 bucks or so. Its nice to be able to measure the progress of your snake over time. Personally I record my feeds, wt, sheds and such on my Iphone. Its great if you encounter any problems and its fun to see how much your snake grows over time. Sometimes it hard to tell visually but the number don't lie

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    -Steve Irwin (RIP)

Thanks
    She's definitely a cutie

I ran into th same dilemma with the tank though. Was given a 48" long tank for free so I decided to work with what I was given since they're so expensive, I'm just going to "divide" it so it's not too big for mine.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks

Thank you! What app doe you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Ahh I see, just be careful with the humidity. It can be a monster pain in the butt to keep a large tank like that at the proper humidity level. Probably a nice humid hide would work well since you have the space anyways.

She looks really healthy now, good for you for saving her. I would recommend grabbing a cheap scale from wally or whereever. They are usually under 20 bucks or so. Its nice to be able to measure the progress of your snake over time. Personally I record my feeds, wt, sheds and such on my Iphone. Its great if you encounter any problems and its fun to see how much your snake grows over time. Sometimes it hard to tell visually but the number don't lie

Thanks

Thank you! What app doe you use?
    Its called Notemaster. It allows you to make different files in which you can have different notes for different things. For example I have a Tuna folder and Sable folder for both my snakes. Inside those I have a shed, food, weight and other notes. So I just record the stuff in there after each feed etc. I find it works great and I enjoy seeing how my snakes grow and such. Doesnt take a lot of time to do either. Some people use an excel spreadsheet and also the website Iherp is also great. Lots of different options

The notemaster app costs a couple bucks but I use it for tons of stuff like grocery lists and such as well. Really useful for me

-Steve Irwin (RIP)