Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,403

4 members and 3,399 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rat genetics.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Re: Rat genetics.

"IF" one knows what they are doing high white genes are NOT an issue.
    I have bred hundreds of litters with high white gene females and have never thrown mega colon babies, but I know not to breed high white to high white.

It's not an accident, breed a high white gene to a high white gene and it's risk of mega colon.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    "IF" one knows what they are doing high white genes are NOT an issue.
    I have bred hundreds of litters with high white gene females and have never thrown mega colon babies, but I know not to breed high white to high white.

It's not an accident, breed a high white gene to a high white gene and it's risk of mega colon.
    So if i breed a rat with a high white... To like my all black male... All would be good? Cuz none of my males are white, at all
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBalls View Post
    So if i breed a rat with a high white... To like my all black male... All would be good? Cuz none of my males are white, at all
    The high white gene shows itself by placing white where there normally would never be white.
    A black rat that is either a Self(100% Black) or a hooded or a berkshire is fine, as long as it doesn't have white where it should not be.
    Head spots of any kind are indicators of the gene also.

This rat has white where it should not be, her blaze and the fact she has white across her back makes her a high white...
    She has thrown 3 litters for me so far and all healthy beautiful babies at that.

This is a holdover baby from the above females last litter...

He is the first high white male that I've wanted to breed, I will breed him only to hooded or Berkshire or Self females to make some more neat blazes.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

NO, HIGH WHITE BABIES WILL STILL HAPPEN BECUASE HIGH WHITE IS A DOMINANT TRAIT. If it could be avoided by outcrossing these diseases wouldn't exist at all.

http://www.spoiledratten.com/highwhitecont.html

High white rats are different than albino and hooded rats. It's a genetic trait similar to Hirschsprung's Disease in people and lethal white syndrome in overo paint horses, where sections of the intestines do not function, causing blockages unless that section is surgically removed. High white rats usually have wedge shaped blazes on their faces, full white bellies that come up past their belly line, odd-eyes and split caps. It does take a bit of experience to spot high whites sometimes. You are just starting out, and obviously don't have that great of a handle on the genetic factors(no offense intended) so I'd stay away from females like this until you KNOW what your doing. Don't breed any of those females or their offspring, just start with normal hooded, berkshire, self, or albino rats.

These are high whites

These are not

Thanks

snakesRkewl, that female looks like a varigated, not a high white. Maybe a reason she hasn't thrown mega-colon babies for you, if i read correctly and that male is her son he may not be high white either, blazes aren't a 100% guarantee they are high white.

Thanks
    Correct, let me re-phrase, any rat that potentially could be a high white IE: has white where it wouldn't normally be, should be considered a high white gene and bred accordingly.

Rats that are produced from a high white to a self, Berkshire or a hooded as far as I know cannot make mega colon.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

In general, high white rats (at risk for MC) are said to be white where there isn't supposed to be any. It's a good rule to follow. That being said, there are only a few dominant "spotting" high white lines that are safe and megacolon free. For the most part though, it's the recessive marked rats that are the safe (MC free) lines.

I'd imagine if someone has been working with a line of marked (dalmatian, blazes, etc.) for an extended amount of time and haven't run into any issues, they are either being extremely selective on breeding or they have a low/no risk breeding stock. However, if you are working with risky high white (megacolon afflicted lines), even your selfs, hooded, etc. can carry megacolon.

In this hobby though, it seems hypocritical for me to say someone is wrong for breeding certain colors or certain risky lines. After all, where do they all end up in the end?

I will add that unless you know your rats genetic history and how genetics work with rats, you might want to steer away from possible risks that would make your feeders unhealthy. I would only breed the rats that have unusual white markings to self, hooded, and other low risk individuals. Even though some people see them as nothing but feeders, it can be crushing for your colony.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (03-16-2011)

Thanks

@ SAMPSON-BP

So your telling me 4 of my 5 breeding females are high white and not to breed em? Yea. Sorry but thats not going to happen. Im just not going to feed my snakes because of some "high white" rats. Wont happen.

Here are the only 2 males i got that breed to my current females.

Sorry the big male does not hold still very well lol

Pic of the first smaller male. Hes all the same color

Here is the big male whos been breeding all my current females.

He has a white belly to. Couldnt really get a good shot of it. He wouldnt stop moving haha

And well these are just some pretty cool pics

Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBalls View Post
    @ SAMPSON-BP

So your telling me 4 of my 5 breeding females are high white and not to breed em? Yea. Sorry but thats not going to happen. Im just not going to feed my snakes because of some "high white" rats. Wont happen.

Here are the only 2 males i got that breed to my current females.

Sorry the big male does not hold still very well lol

Pic of the first smaller male. Hes all the same color
    With the two males you have, you should be fine. Looks like a Beige Self and a Mink Berkshire. Neither are high white. As long as you steer clear of breeding two unusually marked white rats together, you'll be good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.C View Post
    With the two males you have, you should be fine. Looks like a Beige Self and a Mink Berkshire. Neither are high white. As long as you steer clear of breeding two unusually marked white rats together, you'll be good.
    Alright will do.

I never knew there were things u couldnt breed together
    Mike

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast