Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,295

3 members and 3,292 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rat genetics.

Thanks

Re: Rat genetics.

Husky/Roan rats are extremely hard to come by in the US, although they are very popular in the UK. Was she born with those markings? Have the markings faded as shes has gotten older?
    Amanda

0.1 Normal Ball Python- Monty
    0.1 Mack Eclipse Leopard Gecko- Pandora
    1.0 Australian Shepherd- Dexter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Husky/Roan rats are extremely hard to come by in the US, although they are very popular in the UK. Was she born with those markings? Have the markings faded as shes has gotten older?
    Yes she was born with them. No they seem to be the same. I may take pics of her later on.

Im not even really sure who the mom was to the litter. Would have to ask gf. I dont even know how their made. It said recessive. Ill see what 2 rats i had that made her

Ill post some more pics up later

Edit: My gf dk who the mom was. We know who the father was. Cuz hes the only male we got haha. How would we go about producing more of these rats?
    Last edited by BuckeyeBalls; 03-14-2011 at 08:03 PM.
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBalls View Post
    Yes she was born with them. No they seem to be the same. I may take pics of her later on.

I'm not even really sure who the mom was to the litter. Would have to ask gf. I don't even know how their made. It said recessive. Ill see what 2 rats i had that made her

Ill post some more pics up later
    If she was Roan/husky the markings would fade. If you don't mind, could I post her pic on a rattie forum I'm on to get some opinions? I'm very interested in her marking as well.

The other girl, with the wedge is a blaze, not possum, possum rats markings start directly behind the ears and all of the face is white. The other is a poor hooded and the tan baby is a rex, possibly Siamese. You will be able to tell after she molts.
    Amanda

Thanks

If she was Roan/husky the markings would fade. If you don't mind, could I post her pic on a rattie forum I'm on to get some opinions? I'm very interested in her marking as well.

The other girl, with the wedge is a blaze, not possum, possum rats markings start directly behind the ears and all of the face is white. The other is a poor hooded and the tan baby is a rex, possibly Siamese. You will be able to tell after she molts.
    Well idk if her markings faded or not to be 100%

As i said she was just a rat haha. Wasnt into genetics much. I wish i had pics of her as a baby. Yea u can post them i dont mind. I may take a few more pics once the batteries charge. My gf liked her the most out of the litter so we kept her for a breeder female. Shes had them same markings like that since she was about weaner size i know that. Idk about from birth till then.
    Mike

Thanks

Edit: My gf dk who the mom was. We know who the father was. Cuz hes the only male we got haha. How would we go about producing more of these rats?
    I wouldn't know, unless you knew who the mother was. You could try breeding her back to the dad, that might give you more like her.
    Amanda

Thanks

I wouldn't know, unless you knew who the mother was. You could try breeding her back to the dad, that might give you more like her.
    Yea i wish my gf knew the mom. We only have 5 female rats that bred for us so far. And just the one dad.

I mean daughter to dad should reproduce more like her right? Not to sure about rat genetics here lol. Were just now keeping track of stuff as far as rats go. Before it was throw em in have babies, feed em off.
    Mike

Thanks

My girlfriend said she thinks the mom was the all black rat with the white stripe thing on her face. Second pic to the bottom in the first set of pics.
    Mike

Thanks

Yea i wish my gf knew the mom. We only have 5 female rats that bred for us so far. And just the one dad.

I mean daughter to dad should reproduce more like her right? Not to sure about rat genetics here lol. Were just now keeping track of stuff as far as rats go. Before it was throw em in have babies, feed em off.
    She could just be a fluke, but I would try breeding her to her dad. Its called line breeding, one of the big pet rat breeder in my area does it to get her blue rats, so you won't get horribly deformed rats.
    Amanda

Thanks

She could just be a fluke, but I would try breeding her to her dad. Its called line breeding, one of the big pet rat breeder in my area does it to get her blue rats, so you won't get horribly deformed rats.
    Yea i know about line breeding. I will try to breed her to dad see what comes out. See if we can get more like her. If not maybe she was just different but not genetically different
    Mike

Thanks

If you get another like her pack her up and ship her my way. lol
    Amanda

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast