Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

1 members and 3,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rat genetics.

Thanks

Re: Rat genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBalls View Post
    Alright will do.

I never knew there were things u couldnt breed together
    It's not a matter of you CAN'T, it's a matter of unknown outcomes if you do. There are dozens of species of animal that have similar problems. To point out a few; Leucistic Carpet Pythons (JagxJag), Blue Merle genes in canines, high white genes in Bull Dogs (can cause deafness), high white genes in horse (very similar to rats), etc. Like I said, it's not a matter of impossibility, there are just certain genes to be weary of.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.C View Post
    It's not a matter of you CAN'T, it's a matter of unknown outcomes if you do. There are dozens of species of animal that have similar problems. To point out a few; Leucistic Carpet Pythons (JagxJag), Blue Merle genes in canines, high white genes in Bull Dogs (can cause deafness), high white genes in horse (very similar to rats), etc. Like I said, it's not a matter of impossibility, there are just certain genes to be weary of.
    So then how do big breeders like rodentpro manage all this? Do they really look into all the rats they throw in a tub to make sure there isnt any high white male being bred to a high white female?

I mean like if you ever seen ralpha davis youtube videos on his rat breeding. He grabs a male... Throws it in a tub. Picks 4-5 females out of a big box.. Throws em in with the male.

So people breeding on a big scale dont watch out for this? They just throw and go so to say?
    Last edited by BuckeyeBalls; 03-16-2011 at 03:07 AM.
    Mike

Thanks

So then how do big breeders like rodentpro manage all this? Do they really look into all the rats they throw in a tub to make sure there isnt any high white male being bred to a high white female?

I mean like if you ever seen ralpha davis youtube videos on his rat breeding. He grabs a male... Throws it in a tub. Picks 4-5 females out of a big box.. Throws em in with the male.

So people breeding on a big scale dont watch out for this? They just throw and go so to say?
    Like I said previously, if you've been working with a line of rats for an extended period, chances are you are safe to breed those rats without any issues. Unless you've just been being selective about breeding.

But to point out something, I used to order from Rodent Pro and never saw any high whites. They mostly had hooded, self, berkshire, albino, etc. All safe, non-risk animals.

I actually just had to look up Ralph Davis and watch his video, and I also didn't see any high whites in his colony either. Most strict feeder breeders aren't breeding for colors and strictly go for the healthiest producers they can. Some breed dually as a side hobby and dinker with colors though and never have any issues, even working with potentially high white animals. Then again, I've seen some that started out with a few high whites and have megacolon hit and have to replace a majority of their breeders. It's a roll of the dice.

If you are careful and selective, you shouldn't have a problem even from the potentially high whites you have in your colony. I would suggest reading up on genetics though. It will help you identify possible problem animals.

Thanks

Yea the current 5 females i have my male has been through them all and each one has had at least 2 litters for me.

Except the youngest female in all of the pics, she hasnt been bred yet. Ill make sure i do not breed her to any high white males, Even tho it seems both of my males are not high whites anyways lol!

Seems like there are A LOT to rat genetics. Lucky me to have some "risky" rats to start out with huh
    Mike

Thanks

Yea the current 5 females i have my male has been through them all and each one has had at least 2 litters for me.

Except the youngest female in all of the pics, she hasnt been bred yet. Ill make sure i do not breed her to any high white males, Even tho it seems both of my males are not high whites anyways lol!

Seems like there are A LOT to rat genetics. Lucky me to have some "risky" rats to start out with huh
    I've worked with "risky" lines before too. As long as you are careful, you'll be fine.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345