Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,998

0 members and 2,998 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

feeding question

alright so I tried Scarlett on a pre-kill rat today. She was extremely intrigued but wouldn't strike. She smelled it, S'ed up and even yawned but then would only stay there ready to strike but do nothing. So after a while of this I tried some zombie dancing and that did nothing she shied away from it. I left it in there for a solid hour and she would give it a sniff and S up but never do anything. So I put the rat in the freezer for now. (It was not frozen before I dispatched the rat shorty before feeding time). She has been off feed for a while and the rat has been getting a bit on the large side so I figured this was an option.
    Now feeding F/T, after I thaw the rat if she will not take it again can put it in the fridge and try again with the same rat or is it trashed. I ave always fed live but I am sick of ending up with exrta pets when Scarlett goes off feed.
    0.1 B.P. (normal)-Scarlett
    3.0??? Painted turtles- Gott, Hammer, Coleman
    1.1 Dog (Husky/Shepard)-Maverick (Terrier mix)-Gypsy
    0.1 Spouse-Anjie
    2.1 Children -Miranda, Elliott, Bennett

Thanks

Re: feeding question

Im not a snake expert by far I do however work with food and you have to be so carefull how you handel food meat especially. Im sure that goes for rat as well that being said once the rat has been defrosted and warmed I would be hesitant to keep in the fridge for a later feed. Bacteria grows so fast and I wouldnt take a chance of getting the snake sick Hope that helps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick67 View Post
    alright so I tried Scarlett on a pre-kill rat today. She was extremely intrigued but wouldn't strike. She smelled it, S'ed up and even yawned but then would only stay there ready to strike but do nothing. So after a while of this I tried some zombie dancing and that did nothing she shied away from it. I left it in there for a solid hour and she would give it a sniff and S up but never do anything. So I put the rat in the freezer for now. (It was not frozen before I dispatched the rat shorty before feeding time). She has been off feed for a while and the rat has been getting a bit on the large side so I figured this was an option.
    Now feeding F/T, after I thaw the rat if she will not take it again can put it in the fridge and try again with the same rat or is it trashed. I ave always fed live but I am sick of ending up with exrta pets when Scarlett goes off feed.
    After thawing it again, Id probably just trash it or feed it to another snake. If you keep it at room temp too long, bacteria can start to build up and grow even in the fridge. Although balls are pretty tough, I think its always better to er on the side of caution.

Good luck
    0.1 Normal Ball Python--> Tuna
    0.0.1 Anery Cornsnake---> Sable

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    -Steve Irwin (RIP)

Thanks

Fair enough. I was just curious. So an uneaten thawed rat is trash. I kind of figured as much.
    0.1 B.P. (normal)-Scarlett
    3.0??? Painted turtles- Gott, Hammer, Coleman
    1.1 Dog (Husky/Shepard)-Maverick (Terrier mix)-Gypsy
    0.1 Spouse-Anjie
    2.1 Children -Miranda, Elliott, Bennett