Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,655

0 members and 2,655 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

sorry for the dual post :( but i just fed tyson and he did something very strange

shes still eating live so i dropped it in there and bang she nails as always. once its dead she flops it around about 5 mins or so by biting on the mouse's butt and then she swallowed tail first. is this ok is it normal will it hurt her? everyones always told me that they never eat from the rear always the head first any thing i need to know or do i almost pulled it back out her mouth but didnt traumatize her

BPnet Veteran HighVoltageRoyals's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: sorry for the dual post :( but i just fed tyson and he did something very strange

Quote Originally Posted by tysonsowner View Post
    shes still eating live so i dropped it in there and bang she nails as always. once its dead she flops it around about 5 mins or so by biting on the mouse's butt and then she swallowed tail first. is this ok is it normal will it hurt her? everyones always told me that they never eat from the rear always the head first any thing i need to know or do i almost pulled it back out her mouth but didnt traumatize her
    It's prefectly fine for them to swallow the mouse tail first. Don't worry about it. As long as the snake is still eating, it doesn't really matter which way it goes down.

And for the love of everything that is holy don't EVER try to pull anything out of your snakes mouth while they're trying to eat it! I can imagine that you could do a lot of damage to your snake by doing that.
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." -Picasso

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HighVoltageRoyals For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (03-09-2011)

Thanks

Re: sorry for the dual post :( but i just fed tyson and he did something very strange

. "And for the love of everything that is holy don't EVER try to pull anything out of your snakes mouth while they're trying to eat it! I can imagine that you could do a lot of damage to your snake by doing that.[/QUOTE]

i thought of that thats why i didnt do it i was just a lil weery nevr heard of them or them do that before lol thanks for setting me at ease

Thanks

No problem!
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." -Picasso

Thanks

Mine is a bit "challenged" when it comes to proper eating He gets so overly excited when he strikes that he's eaten f/t mice sideways, from the rear, and from the front. He's never had a problem no matter which way he's taken the meal.

The only things I've read is that live mice/rats eaten backwards who may not be 100% dead can turn around and bite/scratch your snake.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kymberli View Post
    Mine is a bit "challenged" when it comes to proper eating He gets so overly excited when he strikes that he's eaten f/t mice sideways, from the rear, and from the front.
    SIDEWAYS?! You have to get some pics of that next time!
    Last edited by HighVoltageRoyals; 03-09-2011 at 08:38 PM.
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessReptiles View Post
    SIDEWAYS?! You have to get some pics of that next time!
    Lol, yeah, luckily it was on the smaller side so he didn't mind.. but it took him a while! I had never seen anything like it
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

Thanks

Lol Yup, nothing to worry about there. As was said, DO NOT pull stuff back out of their mouths. As for a potential reason why she decided to go for the rear, I've noticed that my snakes seem to be more inclined to try backwards when the prey is on the small side. You might be due for a size change, but some of them just eat backwards for the heck of it, so as long as she eats I wouldn't worry.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kymberli View Post
    he's eaten f/t mice sideways
    I've had a snake try to do this once.

As for the OP, tonight was feeding night for me and one of my girls ate her mouse backwards. It happens from time to time. Nothing to worry about as long as they get it down okay.

Thanks

mines done that once and i thought the final image of the mouse head peeking gout of darwin's mouth was pretty amusing :-/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast