Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

1 members and 3,221 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Why can't you plug Proportional thermostats into UPS's or generators?

I was wondering why you couldn't plug a Proportional thermostat into a uninterruptible power supply so I emailed Helix and Jeff Washburn was cool enough to write me back and explain. Just thought I'd share with everyone.

This is the email I sent him:
    I was just wondering, would it be ok if I plugged my DBS-1000's into
    uninterruptible power supplies? Would there be any problems doing
    this?
    Hello, yes you will not be happy using any signal conditioner, UPS, even some older or sloppy power generators, ahead of digital equipment that
    electronically controls output power. The Sign-wave that these products
    produce is "square-ish" and not acceptable for use with triac driven
    devices. ( Including Helix DBS-1000 and any truely Proportional
    thermostat.) . This Square sign-wave tends to turn on the power at a low
    level when the system wants the power OFF.
    On/Off thermostats ( at least most of them) should not have this
    problem.

If your looking for back up incase of power outage...

You can set up a Ranco (On/Off) thermostat, 1-2 degrees lower
    setpoint, and separate small fan and heat element.
    Basically the Ranco is never putting out any heat , unless the
    temperature drops to the lower (secondary system) set point. This saves the relay inside and makes the Ranco system last a 1000 x's longer

It could also speed "temperature" recovery after opening the incubator,
    and closing it.
    Thanks for thinking Helix, Jeff Washburn, Helix Controls, Inc.
    Last edited by Adam Chandler; 03-09-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: grammer
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Adam Chandler For This Useful Post:

ace_singapore (07-03-2011),Johan (03-10-2011),muddoc (03-09-2011),Simple Man (06-26-2011)

Thanks

Re: Why can't you plug Proportional thermostats into UPS's or generators?

I've thought about power backups quite a bit as well. In looking into it, it seems that virtually every backup generator creates a type of power which is not well suited to thermostats.

I think one of the best responses to heat a snake room in case of an emergency is an oil-filled radiator set in the mid 80's, plugged into a generator. Just heat the whole room and forgo the heat tape during the emergency.

For an incubator, you would have to use the on/off method as described in the post above and have a good amount of air circulation to (hopefully) even out the temp.

Jon

Thanks

Yeah I ran my helix tstats off of my generator not too long ago and they were resetting themselves every few minutes. Definitely not ideal, and I'm sure that it wasn't too good for the lifespan of the tstats.

Thanks

very interesting, thanks for this info
    0.1 Normal Ball Python--> Tuna
    0.0.1 Anery Cornsnake---> Sable

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    -Steve Irwin (RIP)

Thanks
    That is the same reason that a UPS shortens the life of a PC power supply, especially a high end model. The square sign wave tries to pass through the power supply which is expecting a round sine wave. This causes the 'corners' to be cut off the square resulting in a phenomenon known as clipping. It seems that the effects on a thermostat is much more dramatic, but the idea seems similar.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I don't know if they make em affordable for home use, we install UPS systems at work that run a dc motor that spins a generator so you have the proper sine wave. You lose efficiency but If your really need to make sure stuff doesn't screw up, its the way to go. I've only seen it in data centers for hospitals and banks.

Thanks
    That's exactly the problem, the ones for home/office use are just big battery packs, that concert DC power from their batteries to AC power for the computer, because when you use one, your computer runs off the batteries, even when the power is on. That's why you get the square sign wave, or "dirty" power.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Most usp are modified sine wave, there are a few very few that are pure (what is needed for a triac) there are a few old threads on this same issue. Dion Brewington and I corrisponded a number of times about a power back up. More generators are not pure sine wave either (the notable exception are Honda they are pure sine wave)

UPS even with the correct inverter are not designed to run heaters and a normal personal use one would not run very long at all. (many only run computers for 20-40 min so figure less than half that time)

The solution I came up with is a 3 cell bank of deep cycle marine batteries with a pure sine wave inverter, a Ranco t-stat (80º set point) on a separate heat system all together (heat cable on the backs and side of enclosures) installed with a transfer switch. If the power fails the transfer switch kicks over and the ranco takes over from the primary. The problem is cost, I have not set it up as it is well over 2500$ to install. A honda gen is cheaper.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Ive ran my herpstat off my 2000watt generator to run incubator and no problems at all. Generator is only 8 months old.

IF your using older style geenrators or any generator for that matter, you must be sure your grounding the generator to the ground.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    More generators are not pure sine wave either (the notable exception are Honda they are pure sine wave)
    I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I just don't understand, Something physically rotating is the only way to create a real sine wave, how does a generator not produce a "pure" sine wave? I could see when people say older or cheap generator don't because if they have a hard time keeping constant rpm, they could be throwing the sine wave all over the place. but any descent generator... how?

I also didn't understand how DC circuit could produce a pure sine wave, but after a little googling, apparently they got a couple different bridges and filters you can run it through to mimic a real sine wave pretty close, still not a real sine wave though, but the electronics can't tell the difference. So thanks I learned something new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast