Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

3 members and 3,032 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indian pythons?

Thanks

Indian pythons?

Through one of the reptile adoption places around here, I found someone who is currently practically giving away all of her reptiles. One of the snakes she said she had was an Indian python. When I was trying to research Indian pythons I found that there really isnt alot of information on them and that many websites said different things. So my questions are, how long do they get? How much do they weigh? What is their tempermant? how much does a full grown adult eat? Any other general information that you can think of would be great too.

I'm not sure how big this one is, but I am probably going to go see the snake tonight and look at what else she has.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    "Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

- Alyssa

Thanks

Re: Indian pythons?

I picked this up off the web from a zoo site as your question intrigued me!

"Classification and Range
    The Indian python (Python molurus molurus) belongs to the family of snakes, Boidae, which contains the world's largest snake species including pythons, boas and anacondas. The family Boidae is further divided into several subfamilies; pythons belong to the subfamily Pythoninae.

The Indian python is one of two subspecies, the other being the Burmese python (Python molurus bivittatus). Both subspecies are commonly referred to as the Asian rock python (Python molurus). The lighter colored Indian python is native to India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Nepal. The darker colored Burmese python ranges from Myanmar, eastward through southern Asia to southeastern China and Indonesia, excluding the island of Sumatra."

Sounds like it's an Indian Burmese From what I read, a lo of Indian Pythons are endangered which may be why we don't see a lot in the pet trade.

Here's the site I found with the fact sheet:
    http://www.zoo.org/animal-facts/indianpython

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    True indian pythons are pretty rare in captivity and it can be difficult to tell true indians from burms, and it is even harder to tell indian x burmese crosses apart from either species, which is a particular problem for those interested in them.

Indians from what I understand are smaller than burmese pythons, but still have the potential to get very big. I've read reports claiming up to 15 feet, but most people seem to quote an adult length of ~10 feet.. and of course they are built heavily just like their cousins, the burmese pythons.

Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in.

Thanks
    The only way to tell a Burmese from an Indian python is a scale count. The Indians are very hard to come by in the pet trade, and some folks who have lighter than normal Burms think they have Indians, like some balls are lighter/darker than others, so are Burmese. If you think she truly has an Indian, google the scale counts for the burm and the indian, and check it out. If it is an Indian, I'd snatch it up.
    "There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination....

Thanks

So I researched counting scales and i found places that show you how to count scales, but i couldnt find anywhere that actually gave a number for indian and burmese pythons.

The owners also seem a bit undecided, and I have yet to even see the snake so it may not work out after all.

- Alyssa

Thanks
    There is a book that you can buy at some of your local pet stores like scales n tails its called burmese pythons, in the last section of the book it describes indian pythons and also gives you the accurate way to tell the difference from a brume. But good luck I have been looking for one for awhile now, so if I was you I would snatch it up, if not pm me and I will try to get it. i live in co Springs

Thanks

There are alot of Burm/Indian hybrids that makes them hard to distinguish, but besides their color I have always heard that there is a difference between their subocular scales, I can't remember on how a hybrid would effect it though.
    Indians do tend to stay a little smaller but they are basically burms as far as care and husbandry.

Here's a pic to explain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jadonh View Post
    There is a book that you can buy at some of your local pet stores like scales n tails its called burmese pythons, in the last section of the book it describes indian pythons and also gives you the accurate way to tell the difference from a brume. But good luck I have been looking for one for awhile now, so if I was you I would snatch it up, if not pm me and I will try to get it. i live in co Springs
    Yeah I most defanitely will let you know if it is still available.

- Alyssa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec4mia View Post
    There are alot of Burm/Indian hybrids that makes them hard to distinguish, but besides their color I have always heard that there is a difference between their subocular scales, I can't remember on how a hybrid would effect it though.
    Indians do tend to stay a little smaller but they are basically burms as far as care and husbandry.

Here's a pic to explain.

Thanks for the pic. that really helps

- Alyssa

Thanks
    Indian pythons are basically snakes that look like burmese pythons just lighter in color and they dont have full arrows on there heads like most burms do. But they act much like reticulated pythons. They are very very active and extremely curious about everything. Theres alot of red tape around owning indians.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast